Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1996/01/22 21:15:37 UTC

Internet Explorer

a bit off the apache subject but what the hell.

I see that microsoft have released a mac version of internet explorer.

Anyone know if their windoze and mac browsers support Content-encoding:
(x-gzip and x-compress)?

Netscape have dragged their feet on this missing feature for well over
a year now, and show no signs of taking the faintest interest in making
their browser network friendly.

So, does IE do the job properly?. If it does we can suggest it to
our long suffering MAC/windoze users.

rob

Re: Internet Explorer

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.
Rob> Netscape have dragged their feet on this missing feature for well
Rob> over a year now, and show no signs of taking the faintest
Rob> interest in making their browser network friendly.

Huh?  If I gzip a HTML file, and GET it w/ 'zilla (2.0b6a/Linux at the
moment; either a GET on file.html or on file.html.gz), it get's
unzipped and displayed.

In fact, according to the release notes, support for x-gzip and
x-compress was added in version 1.1.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.	<URL:http://www.io.com/~cloos/>
cloos@io.com		LPF,Usenix,SAGE,ISOC

Re: Internet Explorer

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Mon, 22 Jan 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> I see that microsoft have released a mac version of internet explorer.

Yeah... not a bad browser, actually. Surprising. But then, Microsoft
didn't write it, Spyglass did.

> Anyone know if their windoze and mac browsers support Content-encoding:
> (x-gzip and x-compress)?

Just checked on this, and no, the Mac browser does not.

--/ Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> /--------/ Lefler on IRC