Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Alessandro Adamou <ad...@cs.unibo.it> on 2011/08/10 17:35:50 UTC

OWLLink API is now dual-licensed

This just in (released Aug 2)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/owllink-owlapi/files/OWLlink%20API/1.2.1/owllinkapi-1.2.1.zip/download

Check releasenotes.txt license.txt and source file headers. All seems ok?

Alessandro

--
M.Sc. Alessandro Adamou

Department of Computer Science
Mura Anteo Zamboni 7, Bologna - Italy

Semantic Technology Laboratory (STLab)
Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology (ISTC)
National Research Council (CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161 Rome - Italy

"As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid, lying morality, and so I am beyond caring."
(Col. Walter E. Kurtz)

Re: OWLLink API is now dual-licensed

Posted by Enrico Daga <en...@gmail.com>.
On 29 August 2011 10:44, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Enrico Daga <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...In the case of our project, this implies that:
>> * OwlLink library must be upgraded to the ASF compatible version,
>> before releasing it's module,
>> * HermiT must be removed, because it is LGPL and includes an LGPL
>> library (jautomata)...
>
> Note that while HermiT cannot be redistributed as part of Stanbol, an
> add-on module that supplies HermiT could be supplied from another
> place (github etc.). If you can define a Stanbol service API for
> reasoners, anyone can plugin their own.
Yes, this is exactly my intention, and one of the background choices
for STANBOL-185 .
I will send a detailed mail about what's going on with reasoners soon.

Enrico

--
Enrico Daga

--
http://www.enridaga.net
skype: enri-pan

Re: OWLLink API is now dual-licensed

Posted by Alessandro Adamou <ad...@cs.unibo.it>.
On 8/29/11 10:44 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> If you can define a Stanbol service API for
> reasoners, anyone can plugin their own.

The Stanbol services API is being overhauled as we speak, indeed.
Currently in the jena-reasoners branch.

A.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enrico Daga <en...@gmail.com>.
On 29 August 2011 10:02, Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de> wrote:
> Am 29.08.2011 08:40, schrieb Enrico Daga:
>> For this sake those components could not be released, because they
>> included code licensed under LGPL, which is forbidden by Apache.
>
> Not to initiate a discussion about this here, but so far I have not yet
> seen a reasonable explanation why LGPL libraries are not acceptable for
> the ASF. According to http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html they
> would violate this criterion:
> "The license must not place restrictions on the distribution of larger
> works, other than to require that the covered component still complies
> with the conditions of its license."
> I do not see how that would be violated by LGPL libraries.
In the recent months I have browsed some mail archives on apache to
understand this.
It looks like the LGPL license contains some ambiguity about the
concept of derivative work.
At the end my understanding is that a final agreement have not been
found, but the point is that this is still controversial.
For this reason inclusion of LGPL libraries is considered forbidden.

In the case of our project, this implies that:
* OwlLink library must be upgraded to the ASF compatible version,
before releasing it's module,
* HermiT must be removed, because it is LGPL and includes an LGPL
library (jautomata)

In particular for the second, it's a pity, because it looks like there
is no OWL2/DL java reasoner which can be delivered with stanbol.
OWLLink is only a Client for a server (not included), which will
contain HermiT or Pellet, both not releasable within apache
distributions.

Cheers
Enrico

--
Enrico Daga

--
http://www.enridaga.net
skype: enri-pan

Re: OWLLink API is now dual-licensed

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Posted by Enrico Daga <en...@gmail.com>.
The problem is that the OWLLink "client" library is part of the
Stanbol reasoners and ontologymanager/store module dependencies.

--
Enrico Daga

--
http://www.enridaga.net