Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com> on 2006/08/08 05:29:56 UTC

auth block (was Re: Action Vs Logicsheet)

On Aug 2, 2006, at 11:32 PM, Derek Hohls wrote:

> Aside: do you know if any progress was ever made in the adoption
> of authentication into flow??

I don't think that it was.

But I'm a little iffy on the status of that authentication block
anyway... I'm not sure what the current recommended best practice is.
I think someone (Carsten?) has written a replacement or improved
authentication framework, I can't remember the details... or maybe
there are other solutions.

For simple authentication scenarios, it's really easy to just do it by
hand in flowscript, and that's what I've done a couple of times.  I
haven't factored that solution into anything reusable, because I
haven't re-invented this wheel enough times for a general set of
requirements to emerge... plus I suspect someday I will go back to
using something more standard anyway.

One thing nice about the auth block is that protected resources are
called out in the sitemap.  That's something that feels like it should
be in the sitemap.  I lose that in my flow-based solution.

Best regards,
—ml—