Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Troy Bottger <TB...@CommercialWare.com> on 2002/01/25 16:23:41 UTC

Merge PDF Documents

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some help using XSL and FO converting to PDF.  I currently
have
the conversion happening correctly for a single XML to PDF, but what I have
the
need to do is take two XML's that have already been rendered into PDF and
put them
into one PDF document.  I don't have the luxury of being able to combine the
XML together
to allow me to just rendor it once.  Any ideas?

Troy W. Bottger
CommercialWare Inc.
tbottger@commercialware.com

Re: Merge PDF Documents

Posted by alex <al...@yahoo.com>.
At 15:23 25/01/02, Troy Bottger wrote:
>Hi,
>
>... take two XML's that have already been rendered into PDF and
>put them into one PDF document.

Dunno about free solutions but my FOP FAQ had

  http://www.pdfstore.com/mainpage.asp?WebPageID=1435

in it but it looks like that website has changed to
http://www.epublishstore.com/

Alex

Re: Merge PDF Documents

Posted by Betty Harvey <be...@eccnet.com>.
There may be another answer but the way that I usually do this
is through Adobe Exchange.  It allows you to combine PDF files.
Hope this help.s

Betty

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Betty Harvey, XML Consultant,        | Phone: 410-787-9200 FAX: 9830
Electronic Commerce Connection, Inc. |
harvey@eccnet.com                    | Washington,DC SGML/XML Users Grp

RE: Merge PDF Documents

Posted by "Matthew L. Avizinis" <ml...@gleim.com>.
Try using two page-sequences in your fo document.  Process the first xml
file in the first and the second xml file in the second.  This way you could
render only once.  You'd probably have to make use of the document()
function somewhere along the way.
In my work, I usually have an outline xml file and a questions xml file that
are combined to form a single chapter pdf and this is the way I do it.  I am
not using Xalan or FOP programmatically but calling them from a command
line, so I tell the XSL processor what the first file is on the command
line, then grab the second using the document() function later in the
transform as needed.
Hth,
   Matthew L. Avizinis <ma...@gleim.com>
Gleim Publications, Inc.