Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/20 12:57:55 UTC

Re: Privacy laws

Hi Harry,

As far as I can tell, we don't have any information on hand regarding the
applicable laws that are applied to personal information stored in OFBiz.

Are you questioning this in relation to GDPR compliance?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OEM - The OFBiz Extensions Marketplace1
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
1 not affiliated to (and not endorsed by) the OFBiz project

Re: Privacy laws

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 21/11/2017 à 04:02, Paul Foxworthy a écrit :
> Hi Harry,
>
> On 21 November 2017 at 01:51, harry mead <ha...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> is all the data automatically encrypted on Apache ofBiz, or is there a
>> process to ensure that we have fulfilled all of the GDPR requirements and
>> the law.
>>
> "automatically encrypted" applies to several different facets of an
> application. For example, you would use TLS to encrypt data in transit from
> a browser.
>
> One security risk is that someone with basic file read permissions can dump
> the contents of a data file used by a DBMS with software other than the
> DBMS, and extract sensitive information like credit card numbers. Some
> databases have the option of transparently encrypting all data "at rest",
> sometimes known as Transparent Data Encryption (TDE), which eliminates that
> risk. It's "transparent" in the sense that the data is encrypted while at
> rest in a data file, without you doing anything different in your
> application or your queries. TDE will add some processing overhead and will
> mean your data does not compress well.
>
> MariaDB can do this (
> https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/data-at-rest-encryption/), as can Oracle
> and Microsoft SQL Server. I'm no Postgres expert, but from what I've seen I
> think you need to call encryption functions as you store data, so it's not
> transparent.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul Foxworthy

Also you can encrypt data using encrypt="true" for a field

Have a look at
     <entity entity-name="CreditCard"
and
     <field name="cardNumber" type="credit-card-number" encrypt="true"></field>

HTH

Jacques

Re: Privacy laws

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hi Harry,

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: info@coherentsoftware.com.au

Re: Privacy laws

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Harry,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

With your answer I can state: nothing of the sort is available OOTB.

Re: Privacy laws