Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/01 20:14:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] Deprecate FlatLedgerManager

Hi all,

`FlatLedgerManager` is not useful at production and most of the production
environment I knew don't use `FlatLedgerManager`. But the default value in
the configuration is still setting to `FlatLedgerManager`, which doesn't
sound right for the new users. so I think it is the time to raise the
discussion of deprecating `FlatLedgerManager` and make
`HierarchicalLedgerManager` as the default.

I created an issue for tracking this. Please comment if you see any problem
of making `HierarchicalLedgerManager` as the default.

https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/issues/1101

- Sijie

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecate FlatLedgerManager

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Sent out a PR for this: https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/1115

Please take a look.

- Sijie

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

--

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecate FlatLedgerManager

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
 The major concern was about id generation. Yes if you take the cluster
down, you can do it easily. But it is not really useful then. So my take is
not to support it at all. It is not worth spending time and energy on it.

Sijie

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 12:20 PM, Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1
>
> Flat is an vestigial. Prereq to removal is a tool for upgrading ledger
> metadata.

well I don't think it is an easy effort to upgrade from flat ledger manager
to hierarchical ledger manager. There was a huge long discussion about this
migration 2-3 years ago.

Given there is no one really using flat ledger manager on production, I
don't think it is worth attempting this effort again.

But I will limit the scope of this topic only to "deprecation" and changing
the default value. If we want to keep BC for this, we can keep this class
forever in the repo. So no "removal" at any time soon of this class.

- Sijie

Posted by Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Jvrao
---

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecate FlatLedgerManager

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.
+1