Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu> on 2009/11/07 16:38:31 UTC

Re: svn commit: r833566 - in /maven/maven-3/trunk/maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven: execution/MavenSession.java lifecycle/DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java

Hi Dan,

> Author: dfabulich
> Date: Fri Nov  6 21:46:48 2009
> New Revision: 833566

> Log:
> Adding experimental multithreading support.  Naive implementation.  Not guaranteed to work.  Builder beware.  You'd be crazy to use this...  -Dmaven.threads=4

Please be more careful what you commit to trunk. Seeing words like
"experimental multithreading", "Not guaranteed to work" and "You'd be
crazy to use this" make me feel let's say uneasy. This significant (and
badly formatted) code change went in without any JIRA ticket, without
any recent proposal/discussion, without any kind of tests and eventually
breaks existing core ITs [0, 1].

I have no objections to you working on parallel builds but
multi-threading is something humans rarely get right upon first try as
we already know from the introduction of multi-threaded artifact
downloads and again witnessed by the failing ITs.

So I wouldn't like to see such experiments on trunk, given we are trying
to stabilize it. Hence I created a branch with your changes and reverted
them on trunk.

Benjamin

[0]
https://grid.sonatype.org/ci/job/maven-3.0.x-ITs/jdk=1.5,label=ubuntu/121/console
[1]
https://grid.sonatype.org/ci/job/maven-3.0.x-ITs/jdk=1.5,label=windows/121/console
[2] http://maven.apache.org/developers/conventions/code.html

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Benjamin Bentmann schrieb:
>
>> So I wouldn't like to see such experiments on trunk, given we are trying to
>> stabilize it. Hence I created a branch with your changes and reverted them
>> on trunk.
>
> In talking with Dan and Wendy on IRC I realized that my immediate reaction of
> reverting Dan's commit was not the proper way of dealing with this situation.
> So I would like to apologize for my rude action on this topic.
>
> There are apparently emotions on both sides of this story and I hope we can
> clear this.

I also would like to apologize for checking in broken code.  I'll attempt
to fix my mistake today.

Onward! :-)

-Dan

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.