Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> on 2007/03/14 21:26:01 UTC

A word about merging

I did the C++ merge stuff with the help of svnmerge.py. I strongly
encourage folks to use this tool for merging as it leaves an automated
merge history behind it in svn properties. Given the number of changes
we will have to manage between trunk and 0-9 (C++ is just the tip of the
iceberg) I'm convinced we'll make a mess of it if we don't have a method
of recording what's been merged.

I also had to roll back one of my merges which unintentionally changed
some java files (516485). I learned that it's not necessarily a good
idea to just use svnmerge rollback, since the changeset to back out the
original change may be much bigger than the changeset introduced by
doing the merge if some of the other differences were subsequently
merged manually or otherwise.

So I finally actually did an "svn merge -c -516485" to undo only the
changes from my merge, but I used "svnmerge rollback --record-only -r
516485" to remove the svnmerge record of the merge so  when some poor
soul goes to do the java merge 516485 will be waiting for them on the
available merges list :)

svnmerge.py is in the svn distribution under contrib or somesuch.

Cheers,
Alan.