Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com> on 2007/01/29 21:04:45 UTC

Spindle for tapestry 4,4.1, and 5?

So I'm one of those guys who in general thinks you shouldn't need
special IDE tools to work on your stuff (ala JSF) but at the same time
it would be really could if I could select a block of text in a template
and do "Extract component" or "Extract block". I know that development
on Spindle has stopped so I question is

- would these kind of eclipse-refactoring-esque features be right for
spindle or a whole new plugin?
- what's the status of where spindle left off?

--
Dan Adams
Senior Software Engineer

RE: Spindle for tapestry 4,4.1, and 5?

Posted by Blšták Peter <pe...@softec.sk>.
Hello

I have tried the tapIDEA but was unable to get it work.
I have downloaded TapIDEA plugin, restarted IDEA (6.0.4) and created Single Module Project (File -> New Project ...) with one Web Module, checked Tapestry support. Then I have defined root Java package and downloaded required Tapestry libraries (5.0.1) ...

Then I have got project with specified IDEA Tapestry library (with libraries I have provided), web.xml with specified tapestry filter and base java package structure. Only thing, which has been enabled from TapIDEA was context menu for Page creation...

No automatic download, no syntax highlighting, no visual palette, no extracted
documentation ....

I am not familiar with IDEA and maybe that's the problem.
Now I have found empty TapIDEA Pallete window and one error ... (see below)

Can you help me? (tell me what I did bad or where to find out TapIDEA features in IDE ...)

Thanks a lot

P.

Error during dispatching of java.awt.event.MouseEvent[MOUSE_RELEASED,(425,110),button=1,modifiers=Button1,clickCount=1] on dialog0: Argument 0 for @NotNull parameter of com/intellij/psi/PsiManager.getInstance must not be null
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument 0 for @NotNull parameter of com/intellij/psi/PsiManager.getInstance must not be null
 at com.intellij.psi.PsiManager.getInstance(PsiManager.java)
 at com.intellij.ide.util.PackageChooserDialog.b(PackageChooserDialog.java:8)
 at com.intellij.ide.util.PackageChooserDialog.createCenterPanel(PackageChooserDialog.java:1)
 at com.intellij.openapi.ui.DialogWrapper.init(DialogWrapper.java:579)
 at com.intellij.ide.util.PackageChooserDialog.<init>(PackageChooserDialog.java:0)
 at com.intellij.tapestry.wizards.support.TapestryDescriptorsStep$4.actionPerformed(TapestryDescriptorsStep.java:92)
 at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1849)
 at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2169)
 at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
 at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
 at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:236)
 at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:231)
 at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5501)
 at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3135)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3968)
 at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2024)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4212)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3892)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3822)
 at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2010)
 at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.b(IdeEventQueue.java:8)
 at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.a(IdeEventQueue.java:42)
 at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:73)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:153)
 at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Dialog.java:525)
 at java.awt.Dialog$2.run(Dialog.java:553)
 at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:551)
 at com.intellij.openapi.ui.impl.DialogWrapperPeerImpl$MyDialog.show(DialogWrapperPeerImpl.java:12)
 at com.intellij.openapi.ui.impl.DialogWrapperPeerImpl.show(DialogWrapperPeerImpl.java:12)
 at com.intellij.openapi.ui.DialogWrapper.show(DialogWrapper.java:748)
 at com.intellij.ide.impl.ProjectUtil.createNewProject(ProjectUtil.java:4)
 at com.intellij.openapi.wm.impl.welcomeScreen.WelcomeScreen$4.onPress(WelcomeScreen.java)
 at com.intellij.openapi.wm.impl.welcomeScreen.WelcomeScreen$ActionGroupDescriptor$2.mouseClicked(WelcomeScreen.java)
 at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5504)
 at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3135)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3968)
 at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2024)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4212)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3901)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3822)
 at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2010)
 at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.b(IdeEventQueue.java:8)
 at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.a(IdeEventQueue.java:42)
 at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:73)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

________________________________

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.
ehehe, i can....
The difference here being that with TapIDEA you get the module
configured, with a Tapestry library with all dependencies ready to run.
You have all that in one step. If you used maven archetype you would
have a little more work.

I know this isn't nearly the most important feature, but i just want to
create a user experience where the developer can do everything from the
IDE avoiding trips to the cmd as much as possible.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
That's good news that you're working on support for T5 ... what kind
of support do you expect?  I really think T5 will need much less
support than T4.

Keep me posted on any issues you see w.r.t. to supporting of tooling.

On 1/29/07, Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's what i know about Spindle for T4. Geoff split Spindle in two
> libraries, an IDE agnostic one that could be used by any plugin for any
> IDEA and the Eclipse plugin itself. I started using the IDE agnostic
> part in TapIDEA. I'd say that Geoff left about 80% of the work done. As
> far as the Eclipse plugin is concerned, i think it's in a much earlier
> stage of development, but i'm not really sure about this as i never
> looked at code.
>
> AFAIK, the Splindle project is dead until someone comes along and picks
> it up where Geoff left off.
>
> I don't want to steal the thread to TapIDEA, but just as a side note,
> i'm implementing TapIDEA for T5 and dropped TapIdea for T4 as i feel
> that by the time i got it right T5 would probably be out and running.
> And by the way, TapIDEA for T5 is coming out great :o)
>
> So, if anyone decides to pick up on Spindle, i'll gladly share my
> knowledge on the IDE agnostic library. In the meantime, i'll be focusing
> on TapIDEA.
>

> Dan Adams wrote:
> > So I'm one of those guys who in general thinks you shouldn't need
> > special IDE tools to work on your stuff (ala JSF) but at the same time
> > it would be really could if I could select a block of text in a template
> > and do "Extract component" or "Extract block". I know that development
> > on Spindle has stopped so I question is
> >
> > - would these kind of eclipse-refactoring-esque features be right for
> > spindle or a whole new plugin?
> > - what's the status of where spindle left off?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.

Re: Spindle for tapestry 4,4.1, and 5?