Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2020/07/11 07:43:40 UTC

ApacheCon @Home CFP Submissions in Different Languages

Hi All

We are looking for talks in other languages than English for ApacheCon @Home. As the conference will be online it means that we can run tracks for specific time zones. Initial thoughts are something that could be US friendly, EU friendly and China friendly.

This means that as well as English we could run specific community content in other languages for the timezone (eg Spanish, French for US and EU time zone). Apache communities are diverse and global so if you are interested in (or more comfortable) submitting a talk in languages other than English then please do.

There is currently a proposal to run a Mandarin track initially focussed on various Apache projects but I think it might be good to get some community related talks too. So if you would like to do an Apache Way or community related talk in Mandarin then please submit it to CFP.

Also if any of our ALCs are interested in putting together a track in their audience language then please let me know as this could be another potential way us to have additional content.

Through ApacheCon @Home we have a great opportunity to reach out to a wider audience so let's make use of all the ways we can.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: ApacheCon @Home CFP Submissions in Different Languages

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Tomek

Thanks for wanting to present something. Please submit the talk or talks using the CFP system

https://acna2020.jamhosted.net/

and select the category as Community so we will be able to locate it :-)

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Tomasz Urbaszek <tu...@apache.org>.

回覆:ApacheCon @Home CFP Submissions in Different Languages

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Aditya

Excellent and thanks to the ALC Indore team for putting this together :-)

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Sharan,

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi Sheng,

Thanks for your efforts, today is the final day for submission.

Hope everything goes well.

Best wishes,
Trista

 Juan Pan (Trista)

Senior DBA & PMC of Apache ShardingSphere
E-mail: panjuan@apache.org

On 07/12/2020 20:53,Sheng Wu<wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Juan

We will have a track for Mandarin at least, I have requested to add an
Apache@China track.
If Rich can't make it online(due to the CFP closed shortly),
I will collect the topics to you all(ALC Beijing and Projects I have known
have active contributors from China) to prepare the track.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org> 于2020年7月12日周日 下午8:23写道:

Hi Sharan,

It looks a good news. :-)
Besides, two questions confused me,
1. If one wants to post a topic talking in other languages,  any
categories on CFP is ok? Or some specific ones?
2. If there is no sufficient talkings in one language for that
timezone,what will happen?

Looking forward to your help, and if I missed something, please tell me.

Posted by lidong dai <da...@gmail.com>.
I also look forward to having the Mandarin track.

Best Regards
---------------
DolphinScheduler(Incubator) PPMC
Lidong Dai 代立冬
dailidong66@gmail.com
---------------

Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com> 于2020年7月13日周一 下午3:56写道:

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Juan

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi Sharan,

Much appreciated your detailed explanation,
which also helps others learn more about this proposal I think. :-)
Make sense to me now. Thanks.

Cheers,
Trista

 Juan Pan (Trista)

Senior DBA & PMC of Apache ShardingSphere
E-mail: panjuan@apache.org

On 07/12/2020 23:00,Sharan Foga<sh...@apache.org> wrote:
Hi Trista

Have included some comments inline.

On 2020/07/12 12:23:00, "Juan Pan" <pa...@apache.org> wrote:
Hi Sharan,

It looks a good news. :-)
Besides, two questions confused me,
1. If one wants to post a topic talking in other languages,  any categories on CFP is ok? Or some specific ones?

You can submit your talk to any category so please choose the one that best fits the talk.
All the track chairs (i.e.the people selecting and preparing the tracks) can see everything that has been submitted. This means that if we see anything that is better in another category - we can contact each other to discuss it and get things moved.

As Sheng Wu mentions the proposal for a track in Mandarin is receiving a lot of support. So if someone submits a community talk in Mandarin then it might be good to see if it fits in the existing track. If we get 5 or more submissions for community related talks in Mandarin then it might be simpler to run a second Mandarin track focussed on community topics so this could run in parallel to the first one.

2. If there is no sufficient talkings in one language for that timezone,what will happen?

If we get no talks submitted or selected for a specific language then we cannot run anything for that timezone. If we get at least one submission that is selected, then we can run it no problem. What we might try to do is combine the talks in specific languages together so they can come from any category.

Looking forward to your help, and if I missed something, please tell me.

Hope this answers your questions. If you need any more clarification then please let me know ;-)

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Trista

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your clarification, much clear now.

On 07/13/2020 00:05,Rich Bowen<rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

On 7/12/20 8:23 AM, Juan Pan wrote:
Hi Sharan,

It looks a good news. :-)
Besides, two questions confused me,
1. If one wants to post a topic talking in other languages,  any categories on CFP is ok? Or some specific ones?

Submit the talk for the topic that it's about.

2. If there is no sufficient talkings in one language for that timezone,what will happen?

I'm not sure I understand the question. We will not be adding additional
timeslots for these talks.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
@rbowen