Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Magnus Pierre <mp...@maprtech.com> on 2015/05/25 09:43:26 UTC

Sample JDBC Plugin for Apache Drill

Hello Drill developers,

I'm an Systems Engineer at MapR (i.e. Sales), and I've developed a
primitive Sample JDBC Plugin for Apache Drill that I've shown for a few
people and companies with great interest as result. The plugin works in the
context of doing simple SQL queries against MySQL and Netezza (the only two
tested so far), and returning the result to Apache Drill.

I would like to share my work with the Apache Drill community, and
cooperate with all of you to move this into something that would actually
work in Apache Drill. I'm new to open source so consider me as a blank
paper. Any guides / procedures for how things are conducted in the scope of
the project would be very helpful.

Currently the code is done for 0.9 but I will migrate the code to support
Apache Drill 1.0 today.
Currently the code is using standard JDBC classes but it has been suggested
to switch to Calcite which I fully support.
There's work to be done on all pieces but some base code is there to
consider at least.

What's the procedure to make this happen?

Regards,
Magnus

Re: Sample JDBC Plugin for Apache Drill

Posted by rahul challapalli <ch...@gmail.com>.
Great Work Magnus!

I have seen teams spending considerable engineering time in building tools
for data movement between an RDBMS and hadoop. With this new storage
plugin, data movement should be a breeze ( Just a CTAS query) or even
better they can directly execute a join query between an RDBMS table and a
file on HDFS.

- Rahul

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.