Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> on 2011/10/08 02:10:03 UTC

[VOTE] 0.20.205.0 Release Candidate 2

Many thanks to the community members who tried out RC1, and found several
critical or blocker bugs.
These have been resolved and I have now posted RC2 at
http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-0.20.205.0-rc2/
A copy of the Release Notes are provided at the top level of that directory.
Appropriate artifacts have also been pushed to the Maven staging repo.

Please download and evaluate it, then vote on accepting it as a public
release.
Voting will close at 1am GMT on Saturday 15 October  (6pm PDT, Fri 14 Oct).

Best regards,
--Matt
RM for 0.20.205.0

Re: [VOTE] 0.20.205.0 Release Candidate 2

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Downloaded release, verified checksums and ran a single node cluster.

Arun

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Checksums and signatures were OK.

I also ran an API compatibility check
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7035,
https://github.com/tomwhite/hadoop-compatibility-tools) and it passed.
There were three errors, all false positives:

Class org.apache.hadoop.fs.HarFileSystem
  "E1.2 - API type removed" : field public final static int
org.apache.hadoop.fs.HarFileSystem.VERSION = 1

Class org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient
  "E1.2 - API type removed" : method public
org.apache.hadoop.io.Writable
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getQueueAclsForCurrentUser()

Class org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker$LocalStorage
  "E1.2 - API type removed" : CLASS public static
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker$LocalStorage

In the first, the value changed from 1 to 3, which is a problem for
clients that reference these constants. We recommend that users
recompile their code, so this is not a problem. Still, we could
improve this situation in future
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3524150/is-it-possible-to-disable-javacs-inlining-of-static-final-variables).

The second is is because getQueueAclsForCurrentUser returns a
QueueAclsInfo (a Writable) which was made public in 205.

The third is for a private inner class.

Cheers,
Tom

Posted by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org>.
The vote has closed, with the following tally (including my own non-binding
+1):
    +1 binding:  4
    +1 non-binding: 6
    -1 binding: 0
    -1 non-binding: 0

The vote passes, ten to zero, with four PMC members voting in favor.  We
have a 0.20.205.0 release,
with both security and append/hflush!  Thanks to everyone who contributed
bug fixes, merges, and improvements.  It was truly a community effort.

I will announce on general@ as soon as I finish the mechanics of the
release.
Have a great weekend!
--Matt

Posted by Ramya Sunil <ra...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Deployed on a single node and a 20node cluster with security turned on and
off. Ran Hadoop benchmarks, a few end-end tests and functional tests
covering distributed cache, capacity scheduler, decommissioning etc
Also ran end-end tests on Pig 0.9.x and a few system tests on Hbase 0.90.x
and Hive 0.7.x. Works convincingly fine.

- Ramya

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
+1. Downloaded the bits, set up a single node cluster and ran example
jobs. Works fine.

thanks
mahadev

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Scott Bush <sb...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 (non binding)

No blocking issues found in Yahoo QE regression testing.
Performance testing showed no performance regression when compared with
204.

Scott
sbush@yahoo-inc.com

Posted by Arpit Gupta <ar...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello,
The 7-day vote on 0.20.205.0-rc2 is closing tomorrow.  Very few people have
voted.
Please consider trying and voting on this release candidate.  Thank you.

Best regards,
--Matt (RM)

Posted by Jitendra Pandey <ji...@hortonworks.com>.
I deployed on 5 node cluster with security turned on and ran mapreduce jobs.
Verified md5 signature of the rpm.

+1.