Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/08 13:07:26 UTC

Re: UIMA AS java.io.IOException: Bad file descriptor when started in background on unix

Burn Lewis wrote:
> We haven't been able to reproduce it ... probably depends on the version of
> Linux (or the JVM) ... the way nohup deals with stdin appears to vary.
> Another change was published yesterday (check if bytes available before
> reading) but if that doesn't fix it for you we'll have to catch IOExceptions
> from System.in ... since we can't test it would you mind adding a try/catch
> and verifying?

Seems that it works now. Is there a way to quiesce a service
with "q" when it is running in the background and redirecting
its output to a file ?

In my particular case its started like this:
nohup bin/deployAsyncService.sh XXX/desc/Deploy_XXX.xml > console.out &

Jörn

Re: UIMA AS java.io.IOException: Bad file descriptor when started in background on unix

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
Jorn, you can use jConsole to quiesce the service. You must know the JMX
port number of the service for this. I can suggest that you set the
following before starting the service:
set UIMA_JVM_OPTS=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8009

Here the JMX MBeanServer is configured to run on port 8009. Start the
service in the background and than start jConsole.
Create a Remote Connection using:

service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:8009/jmxrmi

Replace localhost with the actual machine name (or IP)

Once the connection is created you can open:

org.apache.uima
    ee.jms.service
        <Your Annotator Name> Uima EE Service
              Controller
                   Operations

Here you will find two buttons labeled:
          CompleteProcessingAndStop
          StopNow

CompleteProcessingAndStop will initiate quiesce

Regards, Jerry

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Eddie Epstein wrote:
> Hi Jörn,
>
> Would probably need additional code in UIMA_Service: add a shutdown
> hook that would do the QUIESCE_AND_STOP.

Is the shutdown hook executed when the process is killed
with kill pid ? If so we should add one.

Jörn

Re: UIMA AS java.io.IOException: Bad file descriptor when started in background on unix

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jörn,

Would probably need additional code in UIMA_Service: add a shutdown
hook that would do the QUIESCE_AND_STOP.

Eddie