Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Kevin Lyda <ke...@ie.suberic.net> on 2012/10/09 20:51:17 UTC

HBase 0.92.1 questions...

HBase n00b here, sorry for the level of the questions I'm about to
spit out. I have gone hunting for answers for the past few days.

I have an HBase that was recently upgraded from 0.20.6 to 0.92.1. This
was done just as I was starting so I'm not clear on the state of the
HBase prior to the upgrade.

Currently an hdck of it yields loads of "[blah] is listed in META on
region server [fluffy] but is multiply assigned to region servers
[froofy], [moofy], [floyd]". By loads I mean tens of thousands. I gave
a -fix option to hdck, but the errors remain.

In reading the docs I learned that hdck in 0.92.2 has some additional
-fix* options, and -fixAssignments and -fixMeta seem like they might
fix this. I also got the impression that one could run the 0.92.2
version of hdck on a 0.92.1 HBase - possibly needing to restart the
master server after it completes (or does the master server need to be
stopped, hdck run and then the master server brought up after
completion?).

It also appears that a rolling upgrade to 0.92.2 is possible - but it
says the hdck should be clean.

Lastly I note that there are two release tarballs for each version:
hbase-VERSION.tar.gz and hbase-VERSION-security.tar.gz. However I
can't seem to find any references to what this means. Is the -security
tarball just a version with security patches added, or does it mean
something else?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

--
Kevin Lyda
Dublin, Ireland

Re: HBase 0.92.1 questions...

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Kevin Lyda <ke...@ie.suberic.net> wrote:

> Is it a good idea to upgrade to those? Or is the security layer still in flux?

You should really use them if you want to deploy security, that's the
only reason we offer those jars.

J-D

Re: HBase 0.92.1 questions...

Posted by Kevin Lyda <ke...@ie.suberic.net>.
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Kevin Lyda <ke...@ie.suberic.net> wrote:
>> In reading the docs I learned that hdck in 0.92.2 has some additional
>> -fix* options, and -fixAssignments and -fixMeta seem like they might
>> fix this. I also got the impression that one could run the 0.92.2
>> version of hdck on a 0.92.1 HBase - possibly needing to restart the
>> master server after it completes (or does the master server need to be
>> stopped, hdck run and then the master server brought up after
>> completion?).
> All you really need is a 0.92.2 client that runs 0.92.2, no need to
> restart anything.

Excellent, that worked great. All is better and a bunch of space was reclaimed.

>> It also appears that a rolling upgrade to 0.92.2 is possible - but it
>> says the hdck should be clean.
> Yes... if you do have multiple assignments it could make the rolling
> restart harder.

They're gone now so I'll work out time for a rolling upgrade.

Re: HBase 0.92.1 questions...

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Inline.

J-D