Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Mike Brown <br...@satx.rr.com> on 2002/02/28 07:36:12 UTC

porting from socket to SOAP

Hi,  I am currently researching the use of XML based protocols for messaging in an application we currently have that uses TCP/IP sockets.

In the application, two programs A and B communicate using sockets.  A connects to B and asks B to send asyncronous data updates over the socket.  If B terminates, A is notified (uses a select() behavior) and marks the data from B as stale (so it won't be displayed to a user, etc...).

I need to keep the functionality of the existing application, but would like to use SOAP if possible as it seems to be the upcoming standard.  Any ideas?  I know I'm not the first to try to solve this problem, but I can't seem to find the solution posted anywhere.  I'm not really sure that sessions or cookies can solve my problem.

Thanks!
Mike