Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sandeep HS <hs...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/07 13:38:42 UTC

[users@httpd] "Service temporarily unavailable"

Hi ,

We have query related to Apache(httpd)-Tomcat communication and following
are the details.

*Our configuration:*
We have a web based tool where request to Tomcat service is send through
apache using proxy.
i.e., when some one selects a service on web page, apache acts as an
interface where it forwards the request to Tomcat and then send back
response from tomcat to web interface.

*Apache configuration:*
ProxyPass /reqheader/* https://localhost:PORT_X/reqheader/*
ProxyPassReverse /reqheader/* https://localhost:PORT_X/reqheader/*

Here PORT_X port is used by tomcat service.

*Query:*
When apache is trying to connect to backend server Tomcat at port PORT_X,
Sometimes that request fails and we get "Service temporarily unavailable"
message.

When "Service temporarily unavailable" issue is hit, we are seeing
following below message in error_log

[Mon Apr 20 14:45:06 2015] [error] (239)Connection refused: proxy: HTTPS:
attempt to connect to 127.0.0.1:PORT_X (localhost) failed
[Mon Apr 20 14:45:06 2015] [error] ap_proxy_connect_backend disabling
worker for (localhost)

By the error message it seems that whenever apache is trying to connect to
tomcat at port PORT_X and if there is no service running at this port then
this issue is hit.

I have tried to use retry=0 for PassProxy and it did not resolve the issue.
i.e,
ProxyPass /reqheader https://localhost:PORT_X/reqheader retry=0

*Below are my questions, can you please clarify*.
1. what can cause this issue?

2. How to identify exact root cause?

3. If this is known issue, is there any fix(configuration parameter or
patch ) available?

Also, please provide any reference documents for the same

Thanks,
Sandeep

Re: [users@httpd] "Service temporarily unavailable"

Posted by "Bremser, Kurt (AMOS Austria GmbH)" <Ku...@allianz.at>.
Have you considered using a connector like mod_jk to connect to the servlet container?

Kurt Bremser
AMOS Austria

Newton was wrong. There is no gravity. The Earth sucks.
________________________________
[...]

AMOS Austria GmbH
1130 Wien, Hietzinger Kai 101-105
FN 365014k, Handelsgericht Wien
UID: ATU 66614737

http://www.allianz.at

Dieses E-Mail und allfaellig daran angeschlossene Anhaenge
enthalten Informationen, die vertraulich und
ausschliesslich fuer den (die) bezeichneten Adressaten
bestimmt sind.
Wenn Sie nicht der genannte Adressat sind, darf dieses
E-Mail samt allfaelliger Anhaenge von Ihnen weder anderen
Personen zugaenglich gemacht noch in anderer Weise
verwertet werden.
Wenn Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfaenger sind, bitten
wir Sie, dieses E-Mail und saemtliche angeschlossene
Anhaenge zu loeschen.

Please note: This email and any files transmitted with it is
intended only for the named recipients and may contain
confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose
the contents of this communication to others and notify the
sender immediately. Then please delete the email and any
copies of it. Thank you.