Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com> on 2023/02/26 04:40:45 UTC

Uploading binaries (OSUOSL)

Hi,

I've uploaded a file to http://netbeans.osuosl.org/binaries/.
Then, I run the script (trigger-netbeans) but I got an error...

Is this script broken?

Thanks,
Junichi

Re: Uploading binaries (OSUOSL)

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 at 15:32, Matthias Bläsing
<mb...@doppel-helix.eu.invalid> wrote:
> > Assume some portion of these may be available for other sources (i.e. maven
> > central).  Is any of these sources available as an alternative?
>
> Sure - many and without having counted the majority is already
> downloaded from Maven Central. We can't use "any" source, it also needs
> to be reliable. For Maven Central all is good, but others might raise
> more questions.

True.  But my understanding was that OSUOSL was never meant to be the
"permanent" solution to this.  I'm curious what we still have that
couldn't find a new home?  And what might be required for it to do so?

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Uploading binaries (OSUOSL)

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu.INVALID>.
Hi Eric.

Am Sonntag, dem 26.02.2023 um 08:35 -0600 schrieb Eric Bresie:
> Out of curiosity and for reference, why are these files published there?
>
> Do I remember correctly that these are there to provide access to download
> for use in the build for files not available on other sources, have been
> abandoned/no longer available for some reason, or some other reason?

more or less. Take the PHP files as an example they are derived from
the PHP installation and are provided for efficient access. The same is
true for the W3C documentation for CSS properties.

> Assume some portion of these may be available for other sources (i.e. maven
> central).  Is any of these sources available as an alternative?

Sure - many and without having counted the majority is already
downloaded from Maven Central. We can't use "any" source, it also needs
to be reliable. For Maven Central all is good, but others might raise
more questions.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Uploading binaries (OSUOSL)

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Out of curiosity and for reference, why are these files published there?

Do I remember correctly that these are there to provide access to download
for use in the build for files not available on other sources, have been
abandoned/no longer available for some reason, or some other reason?

Assume some portion of these may be available for other sources (i.e. maven
central).  Is any of these sources available as an alternative?

For some of the old dependencies, is it worth investigating why these old
dependencies are still needed and maybe could be replaced with something
else (and/or newer)?

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.