Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/14 17:52:32 UTC

Re: [m2] Generating release POMs

On 16/01/07, Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/01/07, Gabriele Contini <gc...@hotpop.com> wrote:
> > Some time ago i opened a jira issue about this missing feature:
> >
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-177
> >
> > Since this is a key feature for our company (we heavily use version
> > ranges and releases are not reproducible), we would like to submit a
> > patch to uncomment and fix the existing code. Does anyone see any reason
> > not to do this?
>
> I'd certainly be interested in this - I was going to do the same when
> I get a chance.

I've had a chance to submit an initial stab at implementing generating
release POMs - see the patch at:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-177

I'd be interested in any feedback and also any ideas on the following points:

1) Resolving ranges with SNAPSHOTs seems slightly unintuitive - see
the commented-out failing test
GenerateReleasePomsPhaseTest.testRewriteInternalRangeDependency

2) Should release POMs be deployed to the repository?

3) Should release POMs be added to the distribution bundle?  If so,
should this be under the usual
META-INF/maven/groupId/artifactId/release-pom.xml?

There's a few TODOs in the patch which I hope to improve in future,
but I wanted to get the ball rolling in case I get moved onto
something else.

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. Please reply to dev@ - user@ cc'ed for followers of original thread.