Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Bruce Keats <br...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/17 23:45:07 UTC

Is the JSSE15SocketFactory class missing from the standard tomcat 5.5.12 binary distribution?

Hi,
 I am trying to track down an issue with the lack of CRL support in tomcat
5.5.12. I turned on logging in
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsee.JSSEImplementation and low and behold, the
debug log on line 57 generated a ClassNotFoundException when trying to load
JSSE15SocketFactory. However, it was able to load the JSSE14SocketFactory
(which is in the same directory/classpath). Since it was able to load the
JSSE14SocketFactory, I assume this is not a class path issue.
 We are using tomcat 5.5.12 with JAVA 1.5.0_05.
 I checked the source distribution and the class is there. Is
JSSE15SocketFactory class not part of the standard binary distribution? Is
there a different JAR file I have to use? Is there a configuation option I
need? Do I need to rebuild the source using JAVA 1.5?
 Bruce

Re: Is the JSSE15SocketFactory class missing from the standard tomcat 5.5.12 binary distribution?

Posted by Bruce Keats <br...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like it is too late for 5.5.12?
 Bruce

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
+1 on building with 1.5 by default. And cleaning the remaining few warnings too.

Costin

Posted by Cédrik LIME <cl...@icare-france.com>.
+1 on building with 1.5 by default, *as long as
it doesn't preventing tc from running on 1.4* (we
use tc 5.5 / Java 1.4 in production right now,
with no sign of switching JDK in the near future).
If it breaks 1.4 compatibility, wait for tc 6.0 to switch compiler version.

How about building Java 5-specific parts of tc in
a separate jar? Would that solve the problem?
I use this technique in a project of mine
(shameless plug: <http://messadmin.sf.net> :-)) and it works great.

         Cédrik

At 19:13 17/11/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi,
>Mmm, I'm not sure.  The download page is already somewhat cluttered with a
>bunch of different distributions and their assorted files (zip/tar.gz, PGP and
>MD5 for each, etc.)  I don't want to double the number of binary distributions
>per release.
>
>And I'm even less excited about doing something like retroweaver
>(http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/) to cross-compile 1.5 source to 1.4
>compatibility.
>
>But perhaps it's time we just start building with J2SE 5.0 by default, instead
>of 1.4?
>
>Yoav
>
>--- Bruce Keats <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is is possible to put 5.0 JSK version up on the downloads site? I can
> > certainly build the missing JSSE components,
> but I would rather stick with a
> > prebuilt official version.
> >  Bruce
> >
> >  On 11/17/05, Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > Bill is correct.
> > >
> > > I do have both the 1.4 and 5.0 JDKs on my build machine. I wonder if we
> > > should
> > > change the build.xml to build both if both are present, rather than just
> > > one.
> > > Would we have multiple JAVA_HOMEs? Seems dirty...
> > >
> > > Yoav

[snip]

Re: Is the JSSE15SocketFactory class missing from the standard tomcat 5.5.12 binary distribution?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
> Mmm, I'm not sure.  The download page is already somewhat cluttered with a
> bunch of different distributions and their assorted files (zip/tar.gz, PGP and
> MD5 for each, etc.)  I don't want to double the number of binary distributions
> per release.
>
> And I'm even less excited about doing something like retroweaver
> (http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/) to cross-compile 1.5 source to 1.4
> compatibility.
>
> But perhaps it's time we just start building with J2SE 5.0 by default, instead
> of 1.4?

It's a bit risky though. Will the JSSE impl for 1.4 be built properly ?

Rémy

Re: Is the JSSE15SocketFactory class missing from the standard tomcat 5.5.12 binary distribution?

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Bruce Keats <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.