Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Cristian Spiescu <cr...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/15 20:10:53 UTC

UML diagrams for the Flex projects in Flower Dev Center ...

Hello Apache Flex Community,

First of all I'd like to say that I'm very thrilled about the amount and
quality of the activity within the Apache Flex project (cf. mail
discussions, web site, 4.9 release, etc). And very happy about the
future of the project as well. Congratulations!

We (i.e. Flower Platform Team) are launching a collaborative platform
for UML modeling & development, targeting the open-source projects (with
a front-end proudly powered by Flex :) ).

We have imported the source code from your public SVN into Flower Dev
Center (ActionScript/Flex code: flex/sdk/branches/develop/*, and the
falcon compiler: falcon/trunk). We have played and we have created a few
diagrams: (I have shortened the links with goo.gl)

== Java: Falcon compiler; in
apache-flex/ws_falcon.compiler/apache-flex.ws_falcon.compiler ==
* Compiler Mxml Classes; direct link to diagram: http://goo.gl/0i5LR
* Visitor Classes; direct link to diagram: http://goo.gl/2IhSg
* ISourceLocation Hierarchy - http://goo.gl/lJr4r
* Compiler CSS Interfaces - http://goo.gl/Fbhv0

OR a link that contains all the above diagrams: http://goo.gl/Ph2e5

== ActionScript/Flex Framework; in apache-flex/ws_develop/ ==

* apache-flex.ws_develop.rpc/model/rpc.flower - Messaging Classes:
http://goo.gl/jSJ0F
* apache-flex.ws_develop.advancedgrids - Advanced Datagrid Classes:
http://goo.gl/nPHg0
* apache-flex.ws_develop.charts - Chart Components and Classes:
http://goo.gl/OWck9
* apache-flex.ws_develop.spark:
      - Core Component Classes: http://goo.gl/6BVis
     - Spark Components Diagram: http://goo.gl/92blU
* apache-flex.ws_develop.airspark - Air Spark Components:
http://goo.gl/dUfQ2
* apache-flex.ws_develop.mobilecomponents - Navigator Components:
http://goo.gl/61vuN

OR a link that contains all the above diagrams: http://goo.gl/vlzUZ

We hope you'll like the platform. Please don't hesitate to ask us any
question. We think that Flower Dev Center would help within the Apache
Flex project, especially with this project being animated by active
people, located in different geographical positions.

We look forward to any kind of suggestions, that would improve the
collaborative flow. We'll implement them quickly so that you can think &
work better. We have a desktop plugin for Eclipse that is partially
compatible with FDC (UML4AS; some of you may already know it). In the
future we'll release a version that has a superior integration with FDC.
Btw. there is some doc on the Flower Dev Center website.

Best regards,
Cristian @ The Flower Platform.

Flower Platform Website:
http://learn-discuss.flower-platform.com/flower_dev_center/
Flower Dev Center URL:
http://flower-dev-center.flower-platform.com:8082/flower-dev-center/

PS: please reply to me for read-write access

Re: UML diagrams for the Flex projects in Flower Dev Center ...

Posted by Cristian Spiescu <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mike,

Thanks a lot for your kind words :)

> I'm a bit confused, what 'is' the platform you are speaking of and how
> does it work?
1) Actually by "platform" I wanted to say the Flower Dev Center (FDC)
itself, a platform (or online service) where people can collaborate on
diagrams, and a little bit on the code. The main usage flow is the
following:

* One or several people work on a diagram (e.g. create classes,
attributes, etc)
* They perform a code synchronization, i.e. the corresponding code (java
or AS) is updated (online/on the server)
* The source files can be opened and may be edited (by one or several
people as well). It may be useful to write some snippets of code, pseudo
code, etc. Of course it's not an IDE replacement, but we tried to make
it look familiar. E.g. syntax coloring, CTRL + click to navigate between
files (only java for now), CTRL + SHIFT + R / open resources dialog, etc.

The above steps are usually done several times within the team. When
satisfied with the outcome, somebody commits the code (into SVN) and
then everybody continues to work within the desktop IDE.

2) Another way of using would be something more read-only focused. E.g.
you create some nice diagrams that complete some existing piece of
documentation, or that explains a certain feature or mechanisms.
3) Regarding ASDoc: the ASDoc templates of the SDK can be modified, so
that every method, attribute, class has an additional link that points
to the source file that is found in Flower Dev Center. This way, one can
quickly see the source code that corresponds to a piece of ASDoc. E.g.:
from the ASDoc page of Group, one can click and see the corresponding
source file:
http://flower-dev-center.flower-platform.com:8082/flower-dev-center/?openResources=actionscript://apache-flex.ws_develop.spark/src/spark/components/Group.as
and maybe a corresponding diagram.

PS: access on resources (files, diagrams), is controlled by the people
that administer the "apache-flex" zone (i.e. organization) within Flower
Dev Center.

Best regards,
Cristian.

Posted by Cristian Spiescu <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Dear Community,

== The Question ==
We have released the stable 1.0.3 version of Flower Dev Center (cf. the
blog post:
http://blog.flower-platform.com/news/flower_dev_center/new_flower_dev_center_version_1.0.3_2013-02-19).
I'd like to ask you the following question. It would be very nice of you
if you could answer.

Do you think that the workflow proposed by Flower Dev Center would help
you while working for the Apache Flex project?
I.e. by workflow I have in mind something like:

a) update the code from SVN to Flower Dev Center
b) work online (within Flower Dev Center) on a / several diagrams that
represent the work that you will be doing in the short term future (e.g.
add classes, methods, etc, draw relations between methods, etc)
c) synchronize the model with the code, and possibly edit a little bit
the code from the same online environment

d1) steps b) and c) being done while collaborating in real-time with
other Apache Flex commiters. This would imply that all the commiters
(interested by a certain task, feature, etc) gather online at a certain
hour (which might be problematic because of different time zones) and
talk with eachother (e.g. with skype) while working
d2) OR, steps b) and c) being done in "near real-time". E.g. someone
modifies; after a couple of hours somebody else modifies, etc. In this
case the communication would be done by email I guess

e) when everything is ready (cf. d1 AND/OR d2) , commit to SVN,
everybody update in the IDE and work separately.

== The Context ==
Actually, modeling has a bad reputation among developers. There are
various reasons behind this, and I think all of them make sense (e.g.
the fact that modeling adds overhead, which means more time to spend,
time that we don't have; OR the "stiffness" of the modeling tools that
impose a certain workflow, and here again overhead, etc; etc, etc, etc).

We think that modeling should help people synchronize their thoughts,
and modeling shouldn't add additional burdens for developers.
If you work alone, I think that modeling may even not be necessary. The
human brain is a terrific modeling environment. However, if we are
talking about several people, i.e. a team, i.e. several brains, good
modeling software may do interesting things.

And this is what we want to achieve. *But for this we need your valuable
help and feedback. *Please tell us what you'd like to see as new
features, new workflows, modify the existing features, the proposed
workflows. We are ready to add and even change everything in Flower Dev
Center, so that it can add value while developing the Flex compiler,
Flex sdk, etc.

== New "_playground" directory, with read-write access to every one ==

The FDC server (
http://flower-dev-center.flower-platform.com:8082/flower-dev-center/ )
has now a folder named "_playground". We copied the files from 2 of the
existing projects (one for java, one for as). You can create/modify
diagrams, code, etc and you don't need an user name.

To access the resources from the "apache-flex" folder, please create an
account in FDC, and contact me by mail so that I can assign you to the
right group.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Cristian @ The Flower Platform Team.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
All I have to say is wow!

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: UML diagrams for the Flex projects in Flower Dev Center ...

Posted by Cristian Spiescu <cr...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for your kind words!

We look forward in having feedback from you. The current Flower Dev
Center basically does what a "standard" UML tool is expected to do.
Adding the possibility to collaborate in real-time, use it on the web,
collaborate on code, etc. We use it for our internal projects and for
the projects of our customers, and it helps.

But nicer things will start happening when Flower Dev Center will do
more, compared to traditional UML tools. We have a lot of ideas that we
are currently implementing, where Flower Dev Center will really add
value (and speed!) to the dev cycle, especially when used within teams.

And even nicer things will happen when you will tell us what you'd like
to see more :)

For the moment we support Java and Flex (AS + MXML). We are working for
JavaScript, ruby, python and php support. But Flex and the Flex
community will always be a priority for us, because this is the client
side platform that we are using. Flex is THE best platform for client
side programming right now and at least for the near future. No other
technology allows the same level of productivity (i.e. in a given time
frame, the quantity and quality of the produced output).

Best regards,
Cristian.

Posted by Vicker Leung <vi...@gmail.com>.
Cristian,