Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Allen Williams <an...@csunv.com> on 2006/05/25 17:15:47 UTC

More (Unending) "Resource Not Found"/ Directory Problems

To the list (my new best friends;-):

I finally got my (very simple) app up and working under the Debian package
mechanism,
but was having problems with the ajp13 connector.  On someone's advice, I
reinstalled
using a manual installation (i. e., I used the Linux binary, but unpacked
and installed by
hand as opposed to using Debian's apt-get mechanism).  Now, nothing works
again.
I'm using the same paths and descriptors as in the Debian installation,
adjusted for having
installed tomcat in /usr/local instead of /usr/share.

****
I added this to the server.xml file:

      <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

<!-- This is what I added; note above, it is contained withing the localhost
elements -->
        <Context path="/smsinfo" docbase="smsinfo"
                 debug="5" reloadable="true" />
****

Here is the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps directory structure:

drwxr-xr-x   9 root root  4096 2006-05-24 20:05 ./
drwxr-sr-x  11 root staff 4096 2006-05-24 20:16 ../
drwxr-xr-x   5 root root  4096 2006-04-14 14:09 balancer/
drwxr-xr-x  21 root root  4096 2006-05-24 20:04 jsp-examples/
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root  4096 2006-05-24 20:04 ROOT/
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root  4096 2006-05-24 20:04 servlets-examples/
drwxr-xr-x   3 anw  anw   4096 2006-05-24 20:50 smsinfo/
drwxr-xr-x  12 root root  4096 2006-05-24 20:04 tomcat-docs/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 2006-05-24 20:04 webdav/

(The smsinfo is the app of interest)

*******

When I go to http://localhost:8080, I get the tomcat default page, with all
the examples, just fine.
When I go to http://localhost:8080/smsinfo, I get, from tomcat:

********
HTTP Status 404 - /smsinfo/

Type: Status report

Message: /smsinfo/

Apache Tomcat/5.5.17
*********

All the permissions are the same.  The only difference I can see is the old
installation (I think)
had the ROOT subdirectory in a different place.

Two questions:
What's wrong here, and can someone help me with this immediate problem?
Is there some definitive guide to how the hell you're supposed to organize a
directory structure with multiple applications?

Thanks to all for the help-
anw

RE: More (Unending) "Resource Not Found"/ Directory Problems

Posted by Allen Williams <an...@csunv.com>.
I just checked the log files, and found an error because

Document base
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/smsinfo does
not exist or is not a readable directory.

Well, this tells me two things: it is looking in the right place
(at least for the document base) and it does NOT want an
absolute path (unless it wants one of the form
"http://localhost:8080/smsinfo"; is that possible?).

Hmph.

Posted by Marc Farrow <ma...@gmail.com>.
As Hassan pointed out your docbase tag is wrong.  change to docBase (case
sensitive) and check the other tags.

Marc Farrow

RE: More (Unending) "Resource Not Found"/ Directory Problems

Posted by Allen Williams <an...@csunv.com>.

Posted by Marc Farrow <ma...@gmail.com>.
paste your context.xml and server.xml.  As info.  The docbase can be
absolute or relative.  I would suggest using relative (which would be
relative to appBase).

On 5/25/06, AJ Jonen <aj...@dimins.com> wrote:

> Linux is case sensitive do you have the write case.
>

> Allen Williams wrote:
>
> >Nope, unfortunately, didn't work.  Still get the "Resource not
> >found" message.
> >
> >What am I missing here?

Marc Farrow

RE: More (Unending) "Resource Not Found"/ Directory Problems

Posted by Allen Williams <an...@csunv.com>.
Appreciate the tip, but the cases are all OK.

Posted by AJ Jonen <aj...@dimins.com>.

Posted by Allen Williams <an...@csunv.com>.

Posted by Allen Williams <an...@csunv.com>.

Posted by Marc Farrow <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by LessZoa <le...@hawaii.rr.com>.
You can set up valves to handle log files. You need to create your log
directory and such, then add it into your host context in the server.xml.

First... for logging, you have to uncomment/add in the Valve in the main
host section as such:
<Host>
directory="logs" prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
pattern="common" resolveHosts="false" />
</host>

In my server.xml I have 5 different webapps as they all run on different IPs
(for security reasons). Here is a sample of a host setup so Tomcat can find
my webapp:

<Host name="www.mysite.com" appBase="/home/sites/www.mysite.com/webapps"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false"
xmlNamespaceAware="false">
  <Alias>safetysystemshawaii.com</Alias>
directory="/home/sites/www.mysite.com/logs"
prefix="www.mysite.com_access_log." suffix=".txt" pattern="common"
resolveHosts="false" />
</Host>

then I have my Context seperate (/Catalina/ipnumber/) with the following:
<Context path="/appname" docBase="dirofappname" relodable="false"
privileged="false">
  <Resource auth="Container" name="mail/Session" type="javax.mail.Session"
/>
  <Resource name="jdbc/appname" auth="Container" scope="Shareable"
type="javax.sql.DataSource" maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="500"
removeAbondoned="true" username="test" password="test"
driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/dbname?autoReconnect=true&useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF8"
/>
  </Context>

All of my apps are set up this way. They all work wonderfully.

You may not have to get as indepth.

The server.xml is a global file telling Tomcat where what is. Since I have
multiple webapp directories I have to state each one in the server.xml then
create a context in Catalina which helps to manage all of them. I also have
seperate instances of the TomcatManager for each IP/webapp so I do not have
to reboot Tomcat overall if I make a change to only one webapp.

Hope this helps you...

~LZ~

RE: More (Unending) "Resource Not Found"/ Directory Problems

Posted by Allen Williams <an...@csunv.com>.
Oooo-kay.  I went and (re)read the document you suggested, did
change docbase in the Context element to docBase (which I did
miss until you pointed it out), and the same thing still hap-
pens.  Evidently, there's no way to tell tomcat how many times
I've read the documentation;-)

I know this is bound to be some stupid little thing I've missed
(I actually had high hopes with the docbase->docBase change),
but I don't know what it is.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Williams <an...@csunv.com>.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.