Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Lars Haack <la...@gmx.de> on 2003/06/03 18:42:59 UTC

Keyword corresponding to $log:$ in CVS

Hello,

I have a question concerning the keyword expansion facilities of subversion.
I would like to know if there is a keyword corresponding to $log:$ in CVS. I
often use this keyword in my sourcefiles because I like the idea of having
the whole history of a file inside the file itself besides the actual state.
Then I only have to look into the file and get the information I need
without having to invoke the version control tool at all.

Best regards

  Lars Haack

Re: Keyword corresponding to $log:$ in CVS

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"Lars Haack" <la...@gmx.de> writes:

> I have a question concerning the keyword expansion facilities of subversion.
> I would like to know if there is a keyword corresponding to $log:$
> in CVS.

Subversion log messages are mutable, they can be changed by setting
the svn:log revision property.  So the expansion of $log:$ in any
given file could be out of date.  Update may well need to retrieve the
appropriate log message for each occurrence of the $log:$ keyword,
even if the file that contained it was not otherwise updated.  Yuck!
It's not something I'd want to use.

--
Philip Martin

Re: Keyword corresponding to $log:$ in CVS

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
At 7:09 AM +0200 6/4/03, Joerg Faschingbauer wrote:
>I suppose you never did a merge in CVS. Believe me, $Log$ is not what
>you want, and you better remove it from your source before you
>branch.

Possibly "CVS merge" is not what I want.  SVN merge is not yet up to
the merge challenge either, but as widely elsewhere, SVN at least has
the architecture to  support it.
--
-==-
Jack Repenning

Re: Keyword corresponding to $log:$ in CVS

Posted by Joerg Faschingbauer <jf...@salomon.at>.

Lars> Hello,
Lars> I have a question concerning the keyword expansion facilities of subversion.
Lars> I would like to know if there is a keyword corresponding to $log:$ in CVS. I
Lars> often use this keyword in my sourcefiles because I like the idea of having
Lars> the whole history of a file inside the file itself besides the actual state.
Lars> Then I only have to look into the file and get the information I need
Lars> without having to invoke the version control tool at all.

I suppose you never did a merge in CVS. Believe me, $Log$ is not what
you want, and you better remove it from your source before you
branch. It reliably causes conflicts which you'll have to resolve
manually.

Joerg

Re: Keyword corresponding to $log:$ in CVS

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Lars Haack wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a question concerning the keyword expansion facilities of subversion.
>I would like to know if there is a keyword corresponding to $log:$ in CVS.

No, there is not.  I don't think any of the developers are big fans of
the Log keyword.

-garrett

Re: Keyword corresponding to $log:$ in CVS

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Jack Repenning wrote:

> At 11:11 PM +0200 6/3/03, Branko âibej wrote:
>
>> $Log$ is a total horror the moment you start merging changes between
>> branches. You're practiallly guaranteed to get conflicts there, which --
>> because of the nature of this keyword -- simply cannot be resolved
>> automatically.
>

> Oh dear.  In *my* bikeshed, $Log$ is always conflict-free and easily
> handled automatically, because it's *always* generated, never
> preserved, diffed, edited, or merged.

Wonderful. Now take two steps back and think about what it would mean to
always generate $Log$, and don't forget that log messages on committed
revisions can be changed. If I may suggest one topic for your
nightmares: how will "svn up" figure out that it has to regenerate $Log$
on some file because somebody changed the log message from three commits
back?

Re: Keyword corresponding to $log:$ in CVS

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.