Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter Firmstone <pe...@zeus.net.au> on 2017/04/26 05:15:45 UTC

Success stories

We should add Blazegraph and Sorcer to our success stories and remove dead links, we can still mention older stories, but I think we need to focus on more recent stories.

Anyone know of other success stories not listed?

Does anyone work for a company that utilises River who can tell us their story?

Thanks & Regards,

Peter.

Sent from my Samsung device.

Re: Success stories

Posted by Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com>.
The company that I used to work for, Travellinck (a corporate travel
integration and automation tool), uses River in production.

Since 2012, all long-running / reliable processes (e.g. Travel approval,
which has highly flexible rules and per-client integration requirements
into corporate ERP and accounting systems, etc) has been running on a
system that I led the development of. It is implemented according to the
Blackboard pattern, which provides enormous flexibility.

Persistent JavaSpace provides strong reliability in the face of client
and supplier outages, which happen surprisingly frequently. For example,
some of our clients would literally shut their ERP systems down for
backups twice a week, but urgent travel-related approvals happen 24
hours per day via various comms channels: E-mail, Mobile phone text
messages, and the web.

This is still going strong.

It was an interesting journey. River and Rio are wonderful technologies,
but we had our fair share of complexities with the Blackboard pattern
implementation (and how to reason about the resulting business
processes) and, more importantly, we had huge issues from time to time
with the JavaSpace implementation itself.

We started with Persistent Outrigger, and then moved to a port of Blitz
(which has been adapted to be provisioned as a Rio service). It took us
a long time to figure out how to configure Blitz, and how to remove all
"memory leaks" in our process - i.e. Entries that never get cleaned up
over time - to achieve a stable system.

But once stable, this has been running for years with basically no
maintenance.

regards,
Dawid Loubser

Re: Success stories