Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Nevermann, Dr., Peter" <Pe...@softwareag.com> on 2003/06/05 08:52:30 UTC

RE: Mapping DeltaV to Various SCMs Using Slide Stores - Should I Proceed?

> Our original concept was to write Slide stores to access the
> various SCMs.  For example, we would write a ClearCase store,
> etc.  However, I am beginning to doubt whether something like
> this will work with Slide as it exists now.
>
> Here are my doubts.  First, I need to be able to map DeltaV
> functionality to different SCMs.

That's currently not possible. In Slide, a resource has (or consists of)
several "aspects": structure (ObjectNode), properties
(NodeRevisionDescriptor), history (NodeRevisionDescriptor*s*), security
(NodePermissions), locking (NodeLock), and content (NodeRevisionContent).
The stores API mainly exposes a CRUD interface for each one of the aspects.
A CHECKOUT request at the WebDAV layer results in retrieving, creating or
updating aspects of one or more resources ... but the store will not know
that the request were originated by a CHECKOUT request.

> However, it appears that
> the DeltaV setup and configuration is global within slide.
> For example, when I create a new workspace, and then
> version-control elements from various other namespaces within
> the Slide domain (each namespace using its own store), are
> the DeltaV operations (e.g., chckout/checkin) on the elements
> in the workspace going to get issued to the correct store?

The DeltaV configuration lets you separate and distribute the history and
workspace data for the configured stores an a nearly arbitrary way. For
example, the "histotypath" parameter can be set to /history/${store} which
separates the history-data of store1 from that of store2. A separate store
(using a separate store implementation, if wished) can be now configured for
the history data.

> I think what I need is for a DeltaV checkout command to get
> mapped to a ClearCase checkout command.

Not possible using Slide stores, IMHO.