Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/25 14:17:46 UTC

Looking for guidance on IP clearance process for donation to Apache Arrow

Hi,

The Apache Arrow PMC has passed a vote to accept the donation of the
Ballista project [1].

The donation contains code from ~30 contributors and it may not be possible
to obtain ICLAs from all of them. If this does turn out to be the
situation, what steps can we take instead?

Thanks,

Andy.

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/9723

Re: Looking for guidance on IP clearance process for donation to Apache Arrow

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Looking for guidance on IP clearance process for donation to Apache Arrow

Posted by Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Craig for the detailed advice. I have updated the IP clearance
form and will start the vote email thread shortly.

Andy,

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

> [...]

>> complains. At that point, the project might decide that they need to
>> rewrite the contributor's code in order to remove the nuisance.
>>
>> So I'd say to go ahead and expect that the contributors who fail to submit
>> an ICLA are just not interested and will fade into history without any
>> trouble.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Craig
>>
>>> On Mar 30, 2021, at 7:31 AM, Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Dave.
>>>
>>> To give an update on the situation, out of the 12 committers with > 1
>>> commit, we have ICLAs submitted or already on file for 7 of those,
>>> including all the contributors that I would consider key to the project.
>>> have been unable to get any response from the other 5 so far.
>>>
>>> Based on this, should I consider moving to a vote now or wait and see if

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Looking for guidance on IP clearance process for donation to Apache Arrow

Posted by Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
This is just my opinion; others may have different ideas.

I'm considering that the project is licensed under the terms of the Apache License, v2.0 and I'm assuming that the contributors knew that when they made their contributions.

I'd continue to try to obtain ICLAs from the other contributors (not just the 5 with >1 commit but all of them).

I'd guess that you won't get every single contributor to file an ICLA but it's probably ok to continue to a vote.

The only risk that I see is one of the contributors later has a change of mind, decides that they didn't understand that this is an open source project intended to be licensed under the terms of the ALv2.0 and then complains. At that point, the project might decide that they need to rewrite the contributor's code in order to remove the nuisance.

So I'd say to go ahead and expect that the contributors who fail to submit an ICLA are just not interested and will fade into history without any trouble.

Regards,
Craig

> On Mar 30, 2021, at 7:31 AM, Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Dave.
>
> To give an update on the situation, out of the 12 committers with > 1
> commit, we have ICLAs submitted or already on file for 7 of those,
> including all the contributors that I would consider key to the project. I
> have been unable to get any response from the other 5 so far.
>
> Based on this, should I consider moving to a vote now or wait and see if I
> can get more signed ICLAs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy.
>
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 10:00 AM Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> Since this is Andy’s project under the Apache License then I’m not sure
>> that other’s ICLA matters. But ...
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Mar 25, 2021, at 8:25 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Andy
>>>
>>> Typically you would look at the top contributors and aim for ICLAs from
>>> those.  Don't forget you have to have a vote here as well when done!
>>>
>>> I would aim for these individuals:
>>>
>>> 231  Andy Grove
>>> 27  Ximo Guanter
>>> 7  QP Hou