Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by keitho <ek...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/25 22:55:54 UTC

[Volunteer] great opportunity

Hi OpenOffice Team,

My name is Keith Abdulla and I'm studying Computer Science at California
Polytechnic State University.
I'm currently a Sophomore who is very dedicated in technology and health.
When I'm not working on the computer for a project or just browsing the
web, I am at the gym about 5 times a week.
I worked for a non-profit company called, Teach-Aids, in which they create
software to solve problems in HIV prevention around the world. I helped
create the webpage, edited many flash animations, created documentation,
and many other around the office skills.

I came across this great opportunity that you guys have available and I
want to dive straight in, in helping out with this project. I feel like
this is a great way in building my resume up, by working with many other
developers and gain more hands on experiences.

I am tired of doing small projects or labs for my CSC class and just want
to know how to use all the knowledge I have so far (C++, Java, HTML, some
Javascript) and really make use of it. I'm very excited in finding out what
I can do to establish myself as a developer for this project and gain new
experiences necessary for a future computer scientist.

Sincerely,

/Keith Abdulla

Re: [Volunteer] great opportunity

Posted by Alan Eduardo Puc Pech <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Keith, welcome to this great community,to be a developer volunteer, you
shall prepare an AOO build environment in your local and get some AOO
technical knowledge and specifications. Such
stuff could be commonly found in the AOO WIKI pages.You need to read the
building guide:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide
wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide>

Alan.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 1/25/13 10:55 PM, keitho wrote:
> Hi OpenOffice Team,
>
> My name is Keith Abdulla and I'm studying Computer Science at California
> Polytechnic State University.
> I'm currently a Sophomore who is very dedicated in technology and health.
> When I'm not working on the computer for a project or just browsing the
> web, I am at the gym about 5 times a week.
> I worked for a non-profit company called, Teach-Aids, in which they create
> software to solve problems in HIV prevention around the world. I helped
> create the webpage, edited many flash animations, created documentation,
> and many other around the office skills.
>
> I came across this great opportunity that you guys have available and I
> want to dive straight in, in helping out with this project. I feel like
> this is a great way in building my resume up, by working with many other
> developers and gain more hands on experiences.
>
> I am tired of doing small projects or labs for my CSC class and just want
> to know how to use all the knowledge I have so far (C++, Java, HTML, some
> Javascript) and really make use of it. I'm very excited in finding out what
> I can do to establish myself as a developer for this project and gain new
> experiences necessary for a future computer scientist.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> /Keith Abdulla

Hi Keith,

sounds perfect and we appreciate your interest and help. Alan gave you
already some links to get started build OpenOffice on your own. Please
feel free to ask any kind of question here on the list to get more help.

And don't be shy you can't ask wrong question, it's a beast of software
with a long history. The code base is huge and there are a lot of room
for improvements in existing code to get started, to fix bugs or even
more fun get involved in implementing new features over time.

Welcome at Apache OpenOffice

Juergen