Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Colin P. McCabe" <cm...@apache.org> on 2016/02/24 22:28:56 UTC

VOTE: HTrace 4.1 release

Apache HTrace (incubating), has voted to release the below referenced
Apache HTrace 4.1.0-incubating release candidate.

Dear IPMC, please vote on our second release candidate as an Apache
Incubator project.

The source tarball, hashes, and signing are here:
http://people.apache.org/~cmccabe/htrace/releases/4.1.0/rc2/

Related maven artifacts are posted here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehtrace-1022

The tag for the RC is here:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-htrace.git;a=commit;h=9e56be495ee3f42aa79665c74f29c4616b05aebb

The KEYS file with the key used signing is available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/htrace/KEYS

JIRA issues resolved in this release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315924&version=12333357

The vote will be open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache HTrace 4.1.0-incubating
[ ] +0 no opinion

best,
Colin

Re: VOTE: HTrace 4.1 release

Posted by "Colin P. McCabe" <cm...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Marvin.  I'll send out the announce emails shortly.  And
thanks for voting, everyone!

best,
Colin

Re: VOTE: HTrace 4.1 release

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: VOTE: HTrace 4.1 release

Posted by "Colin P. McCabe" <cm...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the comments so far, guys.

Porting over the votes from the HTrace development list:
Michael Stack: +1
Lewis John McGibbney: +1
Masatake Iwasaki: +1
Elliot Clark: +1
and of course myself, +1.

It seems like we need another IPMC vote on this; does anyone have time
to take a look?

cheers,
Colin

Re: VOTE: HTrace 4.1 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Re: VOTE: HTrace 4.1 release

Posted by "Colin P. McCabe" <cm...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> +1 binding
>
> I checked:
> - artefact name contains incubating
> - DISCLAIMER exists
> - LICENSE Is OK
> - NOTICE is OK but has a little extra info in it
> - no unexpected binaries in release
> - all source files have apache headers
> - can compile form source

Thanks for reviewing this and for the +1, Justin.

> Please place the release files in the correct place and not in people @. Note this is as MUST in incubator policy. [1]

Right.  The reason why the files are inside my user account rather
than inside http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/htrace/ where all the
previous release artifacts are is because the release hasn't been
finalized yet.

> LICENSE and NOTICE:
> - Remove at least one of the last two paragraphs from NOTICE [2]
> - Zipkin notice file [4] has a NOTICE file but from what I assume you are using I think you only need the "Zipkin is a distributed tracing system. Copyright 2012 Twitter, Inc.” part in NOTICE. However I’m not even sure that's needed the only two file I can see [5] are licensed to the ASF and not Twitter. (Question is anything bundled or is it just a dependancy?)

We don't bundle anything from Twitter.  The Zipkin code is
ASF-licensed and it is a connector for Zipkin, not Zipkin itself.

Hmm.  If I understand correctly, the paragraph starting with "Apache
HTrace includes an Apache Thrift connector to Zipkin...." is
superfluous.  I filed HTRACE-345 to remove this.

> - Rather than urls to licenses it’s required by most licenses to actually include the full text of the license. It would be better the the URLs were replaced with file paths to local copies of the licenses. Reason being that the licenses at those URLs may change. (And has for instance done for bootstrap)

That makes sense.  Do you have an example of a project which does this
right?  I looked in the Hadoop repo and I can't find any
acknowledgement in LICENSE.txt of bootstrap at all, let alone
normalize.css.

> - LICENSE is missing MIT licensed normalize.css it’s inside [3] (and the other bootstrap copies)

OK.

best,
Colin

Re: VOTE: HTrace 4.1 release