Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by fong <fo...@shunkam.com> on 2002/10/04 17:44:32 UTC

Tomcat stop when exit telnet session

I install tomcat 4.X in solaris8. I run "/etc/init.d/tomcat4 start &" to start tomcat in telnet session from win2K. That is ok.

But when I close the telnet session. This service is also stop.
So I can't use tomcat web services.

How can I keep it running?

Much thanks...

Re: Cannot view the console

Posted by Valera Molyakov <va...@kompan.com.ua>.
Hi !

$CATALINA_BASE\bin\catalina.bat     run

Your must setup %JAVA_HOME%.

Regards,
Valera.

Cannot view the console

Posted by Uma Maheswar <um...@globalleafs.com>.
Hello,
I cannot view the Tomcat Console. I am using Tomcat 4.0 on Win XP. Also, I
cannot start the Tomcat from
Start - Programmes - Apache Tomcat. I need to go to the Control Panel -
Admin Tools - Services and then start the Tomcat over there.

Can any one tell me what is wrong? I am also using JDK1.4.0

Thanks
Uma
Java Developer
http://www.javagalaxy.com

Re: Tomcat stop when exit telnet session

Posted by Dan Lipofsky <da...@nuserve.com>.
> You onlu have to run tomcat like this: (I did this in Tomcat 3.3)
> nohup tomcat.sh start > nohup.out
>
> So in the nohup.out file Tomcat will store all the console messages.
> In fact, it's a unix "patch"...  :-)

The syntax I use is

nohup tomcat.sh start

nohup already redirects everything to nohup.out, so the explicit
redirection is unneccessary and prehaps harmful.  Also, the "&"
shown in another post is also bad - nohup already runs the process
in the background for you, and using "&" put nohup itself in the background.
- Dan

Re: Tomcat stop when exit telnet session

Posted by Nancy Crisostomo Martinez <na...@correo.uqroo.mx>.
Hi Fong,
I had the same behavior but in Tomcat 3.3 with Solaris 8.
It was very frustrated for me, but I got a very good solution because I still think that it's not the best.

You onlu have to run tomcat like this: (I did this in Tomcat 3.3)
nohup tomcat.sh start > nohup.out

So in the nohup.out file Tomcat will store all the console messages.
In fact, it's a unix "patch"...  :-)

Regards,
Nancy.

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Nancy Crisostomo Martinez wrote:

> Jon, I even tried the "&", but it didn't work for me. I don't know
> why...but maybe it really works for Fong...

What shell are you using?  My guess is that's a ksh-type shell.  (See
the note I sent out about the relation between nohup/& and shells.)

> jon wingfield wrote:
>
> > I've never used solaris8 so the following may be in error, but here goes.
> >
> > On linux using & seems not only to put the process in the background but
> > also seems to be nohup (no hang up).
> > On hp-ux 10/11 using & seems only to put the process in the background and
> > NOT nohup.
> >
> > So, i surmise that solaris8 is behaving like hp-ux and that you need to use
> > the nohup command instead of just putting the process in the background.
> >
> > so i would try:
> >
> > nohup /etc/init.d/tomcat4 start &
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Jon

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu

Re: Tomcat stop when exit telnet session

Posted by Nancy Crisostomo Martinez <na...@correo.uqroo.mx>.

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, jon wingfield wrote:

> I've never used solaris8 so the following may be in error, but here
> goes.
>
> On linux using & seems not only to put the process in the background
> but also seems to be nohup (no hang up).  On hp-ux 10/11 using &
> seems only to put the process in the background and NOT nohup.
>
> So, i surmise that solaris8 is behaving like hp-ux and that you need
> to use the nohup command instead of just putting the process in the
> background.

Actually, I think it depends what shell/shell family you are using.  I
thought all shells automatically nohup'ed something that is run in the
background, but upon a quick view of the csh and ksh man pages, it
looks like this is true for csh et al, but not ksh et al.

So, I surmise that you are using a csh-type shell (including tcsh) on
your linux machine, but a ksh-type shell (including bash) on your
hp-ux machine :-).  And further that the original poster is using a
ksh-type shell.

Also, I think if you put this command itself in a script (regardless
of what shell kind of script it is), it'll work fine without the nohup.

> so i would try:
>
> nohup /etc/init.d/tomcat4 start &
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Jon

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu

RE: Tomcat stop when exit telnet session

Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
Try "nohup tomcat4 run > startup.log 2>&1 &".  There's something in the
way that tomcat starts within the catalina.sh file that seems to
confuse things.  This is also a problem for me on version 3.3 of tomcat,
but I run on Unixware not solaris.

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson