Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Sébastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org> on 2012/01/11 09:16:45 UTC

[commons-math] compatibility of licenses?

Hi,
in project Commons-Math, a contributor recently proposed a patch for
triangular distributions (see MATH-731). One of the methods
implemented is based on a third party Python code, the license of
which is reproduced below. My question is: can I commit this patch?
Should we try and get in touch with the original author (1998!), to
have him sign an ICLA?
Thanks for your advice.
Sébastien

+ * <p>Implementation of the {@link #sample} method partly based on triangular
+ * distribution implementation of the rv Python module (Release 1.1 27-Nov-98),
+ * by Ivan Frohne, which is distributed under the following license:
+ * <pre>
+ *            Copyright 1998 by Ivan Frohne; Wasilla, Alaska, U.S.A.
+ *                        All Rights Reserved
+ *
+ * Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and its
+ * documentation for any purpose, free of charge, is granted subject to the
+ * following conditions:
+ *   The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
+ *   all copies or substantial portions of the software.
+ *
+ *   THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
+ *   EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS
+ *   FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
+ *   AUTHOR OR COPYRIGHT HOLDER BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM OR DAMAGES IN A
+ *   CONTRACT ACTION, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION
+ *   WITH THE SOFTWARE OR ITS DOCUMENTATION.
+ * </pre>
+ * </p>

Re: [commons-math] compatibility of licenses?

Posted by Sébastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org>.
2012/1/11 Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>:
> +1 to Gregs arguing. Legally there is imo no need to add this license, because the work is derivative enough to make it an 'own distinct solution'.

This is actually good to know. Thanks!

> But it's always a good thing to show respect and be thankful by adding something like
>
> "Implementation of the {@link #sample} method is inspired by the triangular distribution implementation of the rv Python module (Release 1.1 27-Nov-98), by Ivan Frohne."
>
> or similar.

This goes without saying.

> It might also be an option for the commons PMC to personally reach out to him, notify him and send him a personal 'thank you'. Maybe he is even interested to help out in other areas as committer in the future ;)

Posted on the developper's mailing list.

> LieGrue,
> strub

Thanks again!
Sébastien

Re: [commons-math] compatibility of licenses?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.