Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2002/11/10 11:02:01 UTC

Re: forrest-dev added to Gmane

Gmane Administrator wrote:

> We have received a request for adding the forrest-dev@xml.apache.org
> mailing list to the Gmane mail-to-news gateway/archive. A subscription
> request message has been sent. If this is contrary to your wishes,
> please send a mail to admin@gmane.org saying so, and the list will be
> removed from Gmane.
>
> Gmane is a mail-to-news portal that never expires its messages.  It
> therefore also functions as a mailing list archive.  It's a
> bi-directional gateway, but Gmane verifies that its users' email
> addresses are valid before passing the messages through the
> news-to-mail gateway.  (Groups can also be made "read-only", which
> means that Gmane won't forward any messages at all to the mailing
> list.)
>
> Gmane can encrypt addresses to make address harvesting difficult, and
> heeds X-No-Archive and related headers.
>
> If you wish to import older archives into Gmane, send a message to
> the Gmane administrators -- just reply to this message.
>
> The following parameters are set for this mailing list:
>
>     * Newsgroup name: gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel
>     * Mailing list address: forrest-dev@xml.apache.org
>     * The gateway is bi-directional    * Address encryption is off
>     * Spam detection is on
>     * The list is described as:
>       "Apache forrest development list"
>     * News URL: news://news.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel
>     * Web URL: http://news.gmane.org/thread.php?group=gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel
>
> This newsgroup will be created when the first message from the
> mailing list arrives.
>
> For more information about the Gmane project, go to
>
> This request was handled by
> Tom Koelman <tk...@xs4all.nl>.

Looking good - thanks. We just made the list subscribers-only, because
it had become a target for spam mail, and we (moderators) were sick of
rejecting 15+ messages a day.

Please be aware of the fact the infrastructure team of ASF is currently
investigating its own mail2news link. At the least, when this becomes
available, syncing newsgroup names & hierarchies would be interesting.

Or maybe we (ASF) could adopt the Gmane tools for setting up our own
gateway?

</Steven>

Re: forrest-dev added to Gmane

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

 > On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 11:02:01AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote: ...
 >
 >> Looking good - thanks. We just made the list subscribers-only,
 >> because it had become a target for spam mail, and we (moderators)
 >> were sick of rejecting 15+ messages a day.
 >

 > I tried to post, and got this
 >
 > From: Gmane Autoauthorizer <au...@gmane.org> Subject: Gmane is unable
 > to post your message To: jefft@apache.org
 >
 > You have tried posting to gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel, which is a
 > non-public mailing list.  Gmane can therefore not send this message
 > to that mailing list.
 >

 > Is "subscribers-only" the same as "read-only"?

Apparently.

I managed to post before they closed it down. I'm not sure whether the
SPAM protection and email address verification are any worse than ezmlm,
so maybe they revert it to the previous situation (posting allowed).

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: forrest-dev added to Gmane

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 11:02:01AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> Looking good - thanks. We just made the list subscribers-only, because
> it had become a target for spam mail, and we (moderators) were sick of
> rejecting 15+ messages a day.

I tried to post, and got this

From: Gmane Autoauthorizer <au...@gmane.org>
Subject: Gmane is unable to post your message
To: jefft@apache.org

You have tried posting to gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel, which is a
non-public mailing list.  Gmane can therefore not send this message
to that mailing list.

Is "subscribers-only" the same as "read-only"?

--Jeff