Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2005/06/03 22:59:42 UTC

RE: Serious bandwidth begin consumed by James

Daniel,

I was going to make a change to the code, at the outer level but actually,
I've got a concern.  If something ELSE in the server led to OutOfMemory
conditions, we'd start purging the outgoing spool.  That would be
catastrophic.

I'll look at the specific case of the bounce message.  I believe that the
real fix is to NOT bounce the message, but to simply send the bounce notice.
Ideally, that should be a DSN, but Stefano is working on that code.

	--- Noel

RE: Serious bandwidth begin consumed by James

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
Yup, in our server i decided to just catch Throwables from the bounce
attempt (if a bounce fails, tough!)

Still, it seems a little concerning that the server may get low on memory,
then attempt to deliver a reasonably sized mail (within server limits) and
fail, and consequently keep repeating (and failing to load it).

I cant work out what to do here.  I guess the correct behaviour would be to
queue this message (ie treat OutOfMemory as temporary error). In which case
it needs to be cought and dealt with appropriately.  I might take a look at
the code again and see if i can figure this out (when i get a free minute!)

Daniel.