Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2017/09/07 16:38:19 UTC

[FlexJS][Installer] Future packaging of FlexJS releases

Hi folks,

Yesterday, I was able to manually create a folder of files that contained
no Adobe AIR or Adobe Flash files and still was an acceptable Flex/FlexJS
SDK for Adobe Flash Builder and allowed me to compile DataBindingExample
for JSFlex output only (it did not build a SWF).

This is interesting because it could significantly change the way we
package FlexJS releases.  We could have a default package that is a
ready-to-use zip of this folder of files.  Then the Installer is no longer
needed if your goal is just to install FlexJS, fire up an IDE, and see how
it works in the browser without Flash and you don't need to see how it
looks in Flash.

If this sound good to folks, I will try to alter the Ant build scripts to
produce such a package (maybe some other volunteer can take on doing this
in Maven).  In case you are wondering, what I did was fake some of the
Adobe files that Flash Builder looks for by making copies of some Apache
files.  For example, I copied the js.swc that contains the Object
definition for the browser to be airglobal.swc and playerglobal.swc.  So
far, it appears that Flash Builder is only checking for existence of
files, not actual classes in these files.  But we might hit some bug later
as we test this further.

Then the next question is, what do folks do who want to get SWF output?
We could try to write a script for the Installer that downloads the AIR
and Flash SDK and puts them in the right places in the SDK folder but it
will run into the same memory limits that is currently a problem for the
Installer.  We could write a new AIR app that brings down the AIR and
Flash SDKs.  We could provide Ant scripts that download and deploy the
Adobe bits.  I think we already have bash scripts that do this.  Not sure
if folks on Windows will be happy with that or not.

Using Ant has the advantage that it works on Windows, Mac and Linux.  Bash
scripts require a shell on Windows.  I believe AIR apps have issues on
Linux.

We could try to teach the compiler to look for and expand the AIR SDK if
it finds that someone specified SWF output but the AIR SDK is not found.
It would look in Downloads folders for the most recent AIR SDK package
name.  So folks who want SWF output go to the Adobe site, download an AIR
SDK and then run the compiler.

This does make SWF output somewhat "second class" and I still believe that
folks who want strong-typing and will be using modules will benefit from
at least testing in a Flash/AIR runtime, but I think it makes the releases
truly appear independent from Adobe.

Thoughts?
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS][Installer] Future packaging of FlexJS releases

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
OK, good to know it works for other people.

I've been trying to adjust the build scripts to create this package
automatically.  The current problem I'm wrestling with is in the Flash
Builder launch configs.  The launch configs are used by Flash Builder to
update a new Flex project with a valid FlexJS application template.  Flash
Builder currently can't create a new FlexJS project with the right
template.  We also use them as a convenience for launching Cordova apps.

Right now, the Installer (actually the Ant script) modifies the launch
configs to replace a token in the scripts with the installation folder.
Launch configs are copied from the installation folder to the workspace
folder so when you launch them, they have lost where they have been copied
from so it can't find other files in the SDK, which is why the installer
replaces a token to point to the SDK folder.

Then, related, as we were preparing our quarterly board report, some PMC
members asked how many FlexJS downloads there have been.  Consider that if
we distribute this non-Adobe packaging as a zip file on Apache mirrors and
it becomes popular, it will totally skew our download statistics because
we can't get good numbers of downloads from the mirrors and even then, it
can be copied internally.

So, launch scripts that work out of the box and good download analytics
are two things we lose by going with this new packaging.  Many folks don't
use Flash Builder so requiring Flash Builder customers to run some script
to update the launch configs may be a reasonable solution.  But it would
be a bummer to lose track of successful installs.

So, we could go back to using the Installer to install this new package.
The install should go fast and won't ask for accepting Adobe licenses.  Or
we could try to create something that the Installer runs after you unpack
the zip.  Maybe leave a file in the zip that the compiler knows about and
after that file gets 30 days old it asks you to run the Installer to
'register' your SDK and that will fix up the launch configs and hit our
analytics.  We could have the compiler try to hit the analytics, but I
don't want to go down that road right now.

Thoughts?
-Alex

Posted by PKumar <pr...@gmail.com>.

Sent from: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/

Re: [FlexJS][Installer] Future packaging of FlexJS releases

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Prashant

Try removing that line from flex-config.  You probably don't need it for this test.

________________________________
Posted by PKumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

<http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/file/t1149/Capture2.png>

Posted by Adam Malejko <ad...@malejko.com>.
Thanks Alex,

That was informative and enlightening. I had no idea the SWF output was
that valuable overall for testing.

I would not push for pixel-perfect representation; there are certain
browser quirks and differences that are just not going to be worth it.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Adam,

Posted by Adam Malejko <ad...@malejko.com>.
This sounds great!

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I could get a zip to just try it, I am all for this.
>
> On the plus side, if you can get a zip only for windows and documented
> setup for quick testing, I think this goes a long way with being able to
> develop the compiler and develop the ui framework separation a lot cleaner.
>
> Getting stuff ripped away from the Flash player and Adobe in a new project
> is #1. Plus the lightweight nature of not having to download the AIR SDK
> for dev and just js.
>
> @Om what would be the difference between npm and a zip?

npm comes in the picture only for folks who want the swf side of things.
The zip would not create swf files.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, I will report back when I have some spare time.

Mike

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Unzip

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.