Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Ward Loving <wa...@appirio.com> on 2013/02/07 03:44:57 UTC

Content Truncation in Nutch 2.1/MySQL

Hello:

I've got Nutch up and running except for one big problem.  It is truncating
the content of my downloaded pages at 27,000 or 28,000 bytes.  Basically it
just slices the end of my web pages off and of course that completely hoses
any downstream parsing of the tags and content that I'd like to do.

This error is driving me crazy.  I've done the typical things like update
the http.content.limit:

<property>
  <name>http.content.limit</name>
  <value>-1</value>
  <description>The length limit for downloaded content using the http
  protocol, in bytes. If this value is nonnegative (>=0), content longer
  than it will be truncated; otherwise, no truncation at all. Do not
  confuse this setting with the file.content.limit setting.
  </description>
</property>

And I've updated the content setting in my gora-sql-mapping.xml to a huge
number:

<class name="org.apache.nutch.storage.WebPage" keyClass="java.lang.String"
table="webpage">
  <primarykey column="id" length="767"/>
    <field name="baseUrl" column="baseUrl" length="512"/>
    <field name="status" column="status"/>
    <field name="prevFetchTime" column="prevFetchTime"/>
    <field name="fetchTime" column="fetchTime"/>
    <field name="fetchInterval" column="fetchInterval"/>
    <field name="retriesSinceFetch" column="retriesSinceFetch"/>
    <field name="reprUrl" column="reprUrl" length="512"/>
    <!-- <field name="content" column="content" length="65536"/>-->
    *<field name="content" column="content" length="262144"/>*
    <field name="contentType" column="typ" length="32"/>
    <field name="protocolStatus" column="protocolStatus"/>
    <field name="modifiedTime" column="modifiedTime"/>

    <!-- parse fields                                       -->
    <field name="title" column="title" length="512"/>
    <field name="text" column="text" length="32000"/>
    <field name="parseStatus" column="parseStatus"/>
    <field name="signature" column="signature"/>
    <field name="prevSignature" column="prevSignature"/>

    <!-- score fields                                       -->
    <field name="score" column="score"/>
    <field name="headers" column="headers"/>
    <field name="inlinks" column="inlinks"/>
    <field name="outlinks" column="outlinks"/>
    <field name="metadata" column="metadata"/>
    <field name="markers" column="markers"/>
</class>

But I'm getting no love here.   Any other ideas what could be trimming the
content?

--
Ward Loving
Senior Technical Consultant

Re: Content Truncation in Nutch 2.1/MySQL

Posted by Ward Loving <wa...@appirio.com>.
Hi Lewis:

Well, I've done some additional testing and the truncation issue seems to
be isolated to the particular web server/site that I'm trying to process.
 When I run the process against other sites, I'm not seeing the same issue.
 I guess for processing that site I'll have to go with Plan B.

Thanks for your help.

Ward

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

--
*Lewis*

Re: Content Truncation in Nutch 2.1/MySQL

Posted by Ward Loving <wa...@appirio.com>.
Well,

Posted by Ward Loving <wa...@appirio.com>.

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

--
*Lewis*

Re: Content Truncation in Nutch 2.1/MySQL

Posted by Ward Loving <wa...@appirio.com>.

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ward Loving <wa...@appirio.com>.
Lewis:

I've update the following parameter to true:

<property>
  <name>fetcher.verbose</name>
  <value>true</value>
  <description>If true, fetcher will log more verbosely.</description>
</property>

But this doesn't seem to be generating a much extra output.  When I run the
parserchecker against the site in question I get the following output:

---------
Url
---------------
http://www.mysite.com/webpage
---------
Metadata
---------
---------
ParseText
---------
All the Content of my page

There are just a few question marks in the parsed text that the bash shell
seems to be struggling with but the page content (under ParseText) looks
complete.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

--
*Lewis*