Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Stewart Alexander <st...@alamancecc.edu> on 2020/08/13 12:57:44 UTC

Inactive Users still logged in but not doing anything eating resources

Hi all,

We seem to have a lot of  "ghost" users logged into their RDP sessions,
but actually apparently not at their desks, as in just a lot of idle
users.

Anything Guacamole can do to alleviate this, as yeah it might be
contributing to why connections to Guacd are timing out

Any assistance is greatly appreciated thanks

Stew

Re: Inactive Users still logged in but not doing anything eating resources

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 8:58 AM Stewart Alexander <
stewart.alexander@alamancecc.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We seem to have a lot of  "ghost" users logged into their RDP sessions,
> but actually apparently not at their desks, as in just a lot of idle users.
>
> Anything Guacamole can do to alleviate this, as yeah it might be
> contributing to why connections to Guacd are timing out

No - if you have idle users in RDP sessions, you need to control the idle
timeout on the RDP server(s) themselves, and not within Guacamole.  These
additional users can definitely impact the availability of resources for
other guacd connections, as they do represent active connections, but they
will also be consuming resources on the remote systems, so it really is
best to manage the idle disconnect and log-off policies on the remote
servers.  It will solve both issues.

-Nick