Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> on 2006/11/07 21:58:49 UTC

Can I submit Eclipse jars to the central repository?

Hi,

I've installed several Eclipse jars into my local repository, and I'd
like to get them into a shared repository somewhere.  Is it
allowed/appropriate for me to submit these for the ibiblio repository
by following the directions at
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html?

There are already some (mostly older) Eclipse artifacts on ibibilo so
it seems there's some precedent for hosting them there.  OTOH, the
Guide implied that in order to post something under groupId such as
org.eclipse I'd have to prove I control the domain org.eclipse - which
of course I do not. :)

Thanks,
  -Adam

Re: Can I submit Eclipse jars to the central repository?

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 11/8/06, Tom Huybrechts <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Great initiative, I see you even have the dependencies set up!
> I have two remarks:
>
> - no sources - shouldn't be too hard to add
>
> - some of the dependencies are not osgi bundles.
> e.g. org.eclipse.jdt.junit4.runtime has a dependency to org.junit4.
> This might be useful at compile time, but at runtime you would need a
> junit4 with the right manifest entries (like the one which is supplied
> with Eclipse). This means I cannot use these dependencies to assemble
> an Eclipse application... Hopefully the Eclipse Orbit project (
> http://www.eclipse.org/orbit/ ) will help standardize this in the
> future.

i changed org.junit4 group (which i consider wrong) to org.junit.
maybe some poms need to be fixed

> How did you create the POMs ? I'm guessing they are generated but is
> the generation code available ?

eclipse:make-artifacts in maven eclipse plugin svn

Posted by Tom Huybrechts <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carlos,

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
> I've created a test repo at http://repo1.maven.org/eclipse/ with a lot
> of them. We are looking for feedback

Excellent!  Having this shared repository of eclipse artifacts will
really help our project.

However, I'm getting one very strange error that I don't understand at
all.  Can you try out this POM:
	<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
	<groupId>foo.test</groupId>
	<artifactId>test</artifactId>
	<packaging>jar</packaging>
	<version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
	<name>This is a test</name>
	<url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
	<dependencies>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>org.eclipse.ui</groupId>
			<artifactId>org.eclipse.ui</artifactId>
			<version>3.2.0</version>
			<scope>provided</scope>
		</dependency>
 		<dependency>
			<groupId>org.eclipse.jdt</groupId>
			<artifactId>org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui</artifactId>
			<version>3.2.0</version>
			<scope>provided</scope>
		</dependency>
	</dependencies>
	<repositories>
		<repository>
			<id>eclipsePlugins</id>
			<url>http://repo1.maven.org/eclipse</url>
		</repository>
	</repositories>
</project>

When I run "mvn compile" I get:
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) org.eclipse.ui:org.eclipse.ui:jar:4.0.0

  Then, install it using the command:
      mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.eclipse.ui -DartifactId=org.eclipse
.ui \
          -Dversion=4.0.0 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file

  Path to dependency:
        1) foo.test:test:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
        2) org.eclipse.ui:org.eclipse.ui:jar:4.0.0

The really bizarre thing is that it works if I have a dependency on
either org.eclipse.ui OR org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui, but not both.  Any
idea how that could happen?

This isn't a showstopper for me since if I just declare a dependency
on org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui it will drag in the right version of
org.eclipse.ui anyway.  But I'm curious to know what the problem is.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.