Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Stephan Buys <be...@stephanbuys.com> on 2016/05/25 11:43:05 UTC

Question from a data analytics/log management dude

Hi all,

Hope I'm in the right forum, I'm someone with about a decade's worth of log management/event analytics experience - for the last 2 years though we've been building our own solutions based on a variety of open source technologies. As hopefully some of you might appreciate, whenever you want to do something interesting, or at scale with timeseries/event data a lot of the tools are lacking.

I started off working in Splunk and it sort off spoiled me with end-user/administrator functionality from the get go (even if it prohibitively expensive and slow). In Splunk the 'sandpit' that you play in has all the toys a non developer can ask for: built-in map/reduce + streaming, and manipulation of results/streams through a simple DSL familiar to anyone with a bit of Unix CLI/Bash experience. (ie. search something | filter | map | eval | visualise http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Search/Aboutsearchlanguagesyntax)

At the moment we spend our days in logstash + elasticsearch (and sundry).

I looked into Beam and Flink a bit and from a technical perspective it seems like the ideal direction to go, combining many sources of data (such as elasticsearch, influxdb, rethinkdb, etc) and many analytics use-cases. The only gotcha seems to be that, from what I can see, the target audience is almost always developers. This isn't a problem for myself, but ideally I would want to bolt a simple DSL (submittable via simple interfaces, such as cli) on top of my datasets but have all of the stream/batch processing capabilities that project like Flink allow.

Is anyone aware of projects/efforts along these lines? Ideas on how we could there from a project such as Apache Beam? (Am I being naive?)

Your input/perspectives are most welcome!

Kind regards,
Stephan Buys

Another question re dataflow architecture. (was Re: Question from a data analytics/log management dude)

Posted by Stephan Buys <be...@stephanbuys.com>.
What role/to what degree do native queries from sources come into play in the Dataflow architecture? I'm guessing the answer really depends on the situation, but in a micro-batch situation (or hybrid) I'm guessing as much of the heavy lifting as possible will still be relegated to the initial query/source ingest?

Posted by Stephan Buys <be...@stephanbuys.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Stephan,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Question from a data analytics/log management dude

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
Hi Stephan,

I can certainly imagine future DSLs on top of Apache Beam. However,
melting all the features of the Beam API into a DSL is not that easy
though. Likely, you will end up with something similar complex to use
as the existing API :)

There are projects that try to simplify Big Data processing and visualization:

Apache NiFi
https://nifi.apache.org/

Apache Zeppelin (incubating)
https://zeppelin.incubator.apache.org/

I would love to see those integrate with Apache Beam. Both of these
projects have integrated with Apache Flink in the past.

Best,
Max