Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Wolever <wo...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/12 03:55:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Starts Intermittently

Hello List,
I've noticed that, on the two web servers I keep alive, Apache will
tell me it has started when it really has not.
I will re-start Apache:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache restart
  * Stopping apache...                   [ ok ]
  * Starting apache...                     [ ok ]
But, if I use `ps aufx | grep apache` to check and see if it is
running, nothing shows up (and, obviously, I can't connect to port
80).
If I do exactly the same thing to re-start it again, it usually works
just fine.  The only way I can tell the difference between a fake
start and a real start is that a real start takes a second or so
longer.
Both machines are running Gentoo and Apache 1.3.33.
Is this an issue with Apache?  With Gentoo?  Does it happen to anyone else?
Thanks,
David