Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bikash Paul <bi...@yahoo.com> on 2003/08/19 10:50:47 UTC

[File Upload] How to Increase the Speed of File transfer ??

Hi gang,

I have developed one file transfer(means file
uploading) application for that I have used
swing,servlet and Tomcat4.1.24.Now my problem is the
speed. The speed of manual copy and paste of file on
hard disk of remote computer is faster than my
application.I want to increase the speed of file
transfer.Networking is done through 2MBPS dedicated
ISDN lease line.Any help will be highly appreciated.

I want some suggestion about below factors:

1.Iam sending file to server as block wise of 1024
bytes and my servlet also writes file in remote
destination folder as a block wise of 1024 bytes.If I
increase the block size then is it increase the speed
?

2. I have used DataOutputStream for writing on
outputstream and InputStream for reading,if I used
BufferWriter and BufferReader then is it increase the
speed ?

3.Is there any tuning of tomcat,so that it increase
the speed ?

4.Lastly I have closed all my Input and output stream
object and I have also closed all connection at the
end of file transfer method.

Or is there any other factor for increasing Speed ?

Thanks & Regards
Bikash

Re: [File Upload] How to Increase the Speed of File transfer ??

Posted by Justin Ruthenbeck <ju...@nextengine.com>.
If speed really is of paramount importance, consider directly opening
sockets and transfering data directly between code running on Tomcat and
your client application/applet/etc -- essentially taking Tomcat out of the
loop for the actual file transfer.

We've seen significant performance increases by doing this (though our
messages are short enough that the http/Tomcat overhead is
significant).  Think long and hard before doing this as you'll give up most
of the benefits you get from Tomcat in the first place.  It's an option,
though.

justin

____________________________________
Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com
Confidential
    See http://www.nextengine.com/confidentiality.php

Re: [File Upload] How to Increase the Speed of File transfer ??

Posted by Justin Ruthenbeck <ju...@nextengine.com>.

____________________________________

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.

Posted by Pablo Mayrgundter <pa...@reeltwo.com>.
> I want some suggestion about below factors:
>
> 1.Iam sending file to server as block wise of 1024
> bytes and my servlet also writes file in remote
> destination folder as a block wise of 1024 bytes.If I
> increase the block size then is it increase the speed
> ?

Yeah.. test with higher block sizes.

> 2. I have used DataOutputStream for writing on
> outputstream and InputStream for reading,if I used
> BufferWriter and BufferReader then is it increase the
> speed ?

Defnitely a good idea.

--
Pablo Mayrgundter
Director of Applications and Services

Re: [File Upload] How to Increase the Speed of File transfer ??

Posted by Pablo Mayrgundter <pa...@reeltwo.com>.
> I want some suggestion about below factors:
>
> 1.Iam sending file to server as block wise of 1024
> bytes and my servlet also writes file in remote
> destination folder as a block wise of 1024 bytes.If I
> increase the block size then is it increase the speed
> ?

Yeah.. test with higher block sizes.

> 2. I have used DataOutputStream for writing on
> outputstream and InputStream for reading,if I used
> BufferWriter and BufferReader then is it increase the
> speed ?

Defnitely a good idea.

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.

Posted by Luciano Kiniti Issoe <mi...@webraska.com.br>.
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No (AFAIK)
4) OK
5) Split your file and use threads in you application.

> You definitely should use a buffered stream.  Get a book on networking and
> take a look at these issues.  There are many good ones out there.  Network
> Programming by Hughes, et al, is one I have enjoyed.
>
> Micael
>
> At 01:50 AM 8/19/2003 -0700, Bikash Paul wrote:
> >Hi gang,
> >
> >I have developed one file transfer(means file
> >uploading) application for that I have used
> >swing,servlet and Tomcat4.1.24.Now my problem is the
> >speed. The speed of manual copy and paste of file on
> >hard disk of remote computer is faster than my
> >application.I want to increase the speed of file
> >transfer.Networking is done through 2MBPS dedicated
> >ISDN lease line.Any help will be highly appreciated.
> >
> >I want some suggestion about below factors:
> >
> >1.Iam sending file to server as block wise of 1024
> >bytes and my servlet also writes file in remote
> >destination folder as a block wise of 1024 bytes.If I
> >increase the block size then is it increase the speed
> >?
> >
> >2. I have used DataOutputStream for writing on
> >outputstream and InputStream for reading,if I used
> >BufferWriter and BufferReader then is it increase the
> >speed ?
> >
> >3.Is there any tuning of tomcat,so that it increase
> >the speed ?
> >
> >4.Lastly I have closed all my Input and output stream
> >object and I have also closed all connection at the
> >end of file transfer method.
> >
> >Or is there any other factor for increasing Speed ?
> >
> >Thanks & Regards
> >Bikash

> LEGAL NOTICE
>
> This electronic mail  transmission and any accompanying documents contain
> information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and legally
> privileged.  This information is intended only for the use of the
> individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent as
> indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
> copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the
> information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited.  If you
> have received this transmission in error, please delete the message.
Thank

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
You definitely should use a buffered stream.  Get a book on networking and
take a look at these issues.  There are many good ones out there.  Network
Programming by Hughes, et al, is one I have enjoyed.

Micael

At 01:50 AM 8/19/2003 -0700, Bikash Paul wrote:
>Hi gang,
>
>I have developed one file transfer(means file
>uploading) application for that I have used
>swing,servlet and Tomcat4.1.24.Now my problem is the
>speed. The speed of manual copy and paste of file on
>hard disk of remote computer is faster than my
>application.I want to increase the speed of file
>transfer.Networking is done through 2MBPS dedicated
>ISDN lease line.Any help will be highly appreciated.
>
>I want some suggestion about below factors:
>
>1.Iam sending file to server as block wise of 1024
>bytes and my servlet also writes file in remote
>destination folder as a block wise of 1024 bytes.If I
>increase the block size then is it increase the speed
>?
>
>2. I have used DataOutputStream for writing on
>outputstream and InputStream for reading,if I used
>BufferWriter and BufferReader then is it increase the
>speed ?
>
>3.Is there any tuning of tomcat,so that it increase
>the speed ?
>
>4.Lastly I have closed all my Input and output stream
>object and I have also closed all connection at the
>end of file transfer method.
>
>Or is there any other factor for increasing Speed ?
>
>Thanks & Regards
>Bikash

LEGAL NOTICE

you

Re: [File Upload] How to Increase the Speed of File transfer ??

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
You definitely should use a buffered stream.  Get a book on networking and
take a look at these issues.  There are many good ones out there.  Network
Programming by Hughes, et al, is one I have enjoyed.

Micael

At 01:50 AM 8/19/2003 -0700, Bikash Paul wrote:
>Hi gang,
>
>I have developed one file transfer(means file
>uploading) application for that I have used
>swing,servlet and Tomcat4.1.24.Now my problem is the
>speed. The speed of manual copy and paste of file on
>hard disk of remote computer is faster than my
>application.I want to increase the speed of file
>transfer.Networking is done through 2MBPS dedicated
>ISDN lease line.Any help will be highly appreciated.
>
>I want some suggestion about below factors:
>
>1.Iam sending file to server as block wise of 1024
>bytes and my servlet also writes file in remote
>destination folder as a block wise of 1024 bytes.If I
>increase the block size then is it increase the speed
>?
>
>2. I have used DataOutputStream for writing on
>outputstream and InputStream for reading,if I used
>BufferWriter and BufferReader then is it increase the
>speed ?
>
>3.Is there any tuning of tomcat,so that it increase
>the speed ?
>
>4.Lastly I have closed all my Input and output stream
>object and I have also closed all connection at the
>end of file transfer method.
>
>Or is there any other factor for increasing Speed ?
>
>Thanks & Regards
>Bikash

LEGAL NOTICE

you