Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jürgen Hoffmann <jh...@byteaction.de> on 2006/11/08 17:59:42 UTC

questions about fulcrum-quartz

Hi All,

I have been looking at the fulcrum quartz, which looks quite good. Only
problem I have is the fact, that it uses plain xml files for its
configuration. I have been using quartz within my own apps, but with the db
based Configuration JobStroreTX. Wouldn’t it be good if the user can
configure its Routine Jobs via the web UI since we are a Web Application
Framework?

For that, I am dynamically searching the Classpath to find classes
implementing Job or StatefulJob. And showing the User the configured
Triggers for these classes/Jobs, and let the user define new Cron Triggers.

Through the JobStoreTX Mechanism this is straight forward, and allows for
the application to be restarted.

To make my point clear, wouldn’t it make sense to modify the
DefaultQuartzScheduler to make Configuration and Persistence of
JobModifications possible?

I can think of 2 ways.

1.       Modify dispose, to get a list of Jobs, and Triggers, and Listeners,
and store them within their XML Configuration File Locations defined by the
component Configuration

2.       Leave the quartz Configuration to the user, and simply make Quartz
read quart.properties upon initialization.

Leaving it to the user, to configure quartz as he wants it configured.

Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards

Juergen Hoffmann

Re: questions about fulcrum-quartz

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Jürgen,

see my comments below ...

Siegfried Goeschl

Jürgen Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I have been looking at the fulcrum quartz, which looks quite good. Only
> problem I have is the fact, that it uses plain xml files for its
> configuration. I have been using quartz within my own apps, but with the db
> based Configuration JobStroreTX. Wouldn’t it be good if the user can
> configure its Routine Jobs via the web UI since we are a Web Application
> Framework?

It's always a good idea to be able to seperate volatile from static
configuration ... :-)

> For that, I am dynamically searching the Classpath to find classes
> implementing Job or StatefulJob. And showing the User the configured
> Triggers for these classes/Jobs, and let the user define new Cron Triggers.

Mhmm, you would also expose the implementation details such as a service
registering using the quartz schedule - not sure if this is good or not
so good.

> Through the JobStoreTX Mechanism this is straight forward, and allows for
> the application to be restarted.
>

> To make my point clear, wouldn’t it make sense to modify the
> DefaultQuartzScheduler to make Configuration and Persistence of
> JobModifications possible?

What happens if you have no database at hand - my Fulcrum services
havn't seen a servlet container for ages ... :-)

> I can think of 2 ways.
>
> 1.       Modify dispose, to get a list of Jobs, and Triggers, and Listeners,
> and store them within their XML Configuration File Locations defined by the
> component Configuration

Would be nice

> 2.       Leave the quartz Configuration to the user, and simply make Quartz
> read quart.properties upon initialization.

Not sure if I understand it correctly - how would you persist you
scheduled job. AFAIK the quartz.properties just configures the Quartz
engine itself but does not contain jobs and triggers.

AW: questions about fulcrum-quartz

Posted by Jürgen Hoffmann <jh...@byteaction.de>.
Hi Siegfried,

See below

Jürgen

> For that, I am dynamically searching the Classpath to find classes
> implementing Job or StatefulJob. And showing the User the configured
> Triggers for these classes/Jobs, and let the user define new Cron
Triggers.

Mhmm, you would also expose the implementation details such as a service
registering using the quartz schedule - not sure if this is good or not
so good.

[JH>] actually this is just my generic scheduler configuration Screen, which
I present the users of my webapp. Since I want them to configure triggers
and jobs freely.

> I can think of 2 ways.
>
> 1.       Modify dispose, to get a list of Jobs, and Triggers, and
Listeners,
> and store them within their XML Configuration File Locations defined by
the
> component Configuration

Would be nice

[JH>] I will look into this then, and do some Proof of Concept work with
Unit Tests, and make sure that this works

> 2.       Leave the quartz Configuration to the user, and simply make
Quartz
> read quart.properties upon initialization.

Not sure if I understand it correctly - how would you persist you
scheduled job. AFAIK the quartz.properties just configures the Quartz
engine itself but does not contain jobs and triggers.

[JH>] This suggestion would leave the configuration of jobs and triggers to
the user. If he wants quartz to use JobStoreTX, or plain text files, or
anything else quartz supports for job configuration