Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Gerd Kortemeyer <ko...@lite.msu.edu> on 2001/01/06 01:14:04 UTC

Strange log entry, Apache child messed up afterwards

Hi,

Did anybody ever see a message like this in the error log after an "internal
server error"?

 [error] Undefined subroutine &Apache::lonhomework::handler called at /dev/null
line 65535.

No further entries.

lonhomework is the mod_perl handler attached to a URL, and is called directly.
This happens intermittently and seemingly at random; however, after this
happened once, that Apache child is messed up and will do this again and again
when hit - so depending on which child happens to answer, you get the correct
reply or another 500.

Distributions:

 Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot)
 Kernel 2.2.16-3smp on a 2-processor i686
 [www@s10 www]$ rpm -q mod_perl
 mod_perl-1.23-3
 [www@s10 www]$ rpm -q perl
 perl-5.00503-10
 [www@s10 www]$ rpm -q apache
 apache-1.3.14-2.6.2

Thanks to all in advance!

- Gerd.

Re: Strange log entry, Apache child messed up afterwards

Posted by "J. J. Horner" <jh...@2jnetworks.com>.
* Gerd Kortemeyer (korte@lite.msu.edu) [010105 19:20]:
> Hi,
>
> Did anybody ever see a message like this in the error log after an "internal
> server error"?
>
>  [error] Undefined subroutine &Apache::lonhomework::handler called at /dev/null
> line 65535.
>
> No further entries.

Here is good, maybe:  http://perl.apache.org/guide/debug.html#Curing_The_Internal_Server_Erro
Here is also good, maybe (the sequel): http://perl.apache.org/guide/debug.html#Helping_error_log_to_Help_Us
I hear this may also be good (the next generation):  http://perl.apache.org/guide/debug.html#The_Importance_of_Warnings

If all else fails, this may be good (generations):  http://perl.apache.org/guide/debug.html#Sometimes_My_Script_Works_Somet
I don't know, but it could help (the obligatory "We are all broke and can't handle our money, so we need more work"
sequel): http://perl.apache.org/guide/debug.html#Code_Debug

If none of this helps, try Stallone, he makes more sequels.

--
J. J. Horner
jjhorner@bellsouth.net

Apache, Perl, mod_perl, Web security, Linux