Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2004/04/05 12:27:04 UTC

AWT on Brutus

Hi,

even with java.awt.headless=true some things that use AWT fail on
brutus, for example jelly-tags-swing.  The error looks like this

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_04/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

On my old RedHat box, libXp is part of the XFree86-libs (for 4.2.x),
no idea where you'd find it in a apt-get based system.  I assume that
we need to install whatever package is appropriate to get AWT to work.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: AWT on Brutus

Posted by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net>.
On Apr 5, 2004, at 3:27 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> even with java.awt.headless=true some things that use AWT fail on
> brutus, for example jelly-tags-swing.  The error looks like this
>
> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
> /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_04/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: libXp.so.6: cannot

Yeah, the JDK needs those libs to do the drawing even in headless mode,
because that's the code it runs. Headless just means it doesn't need to
connect to a running X display.  You may need fonts, too.

S.

Re: AWT on Brutus

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Christian Geisert wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> even with java.awt.headless=true some things that use AWT fail on
>> brutus, for example jelly-tags-swing.  The error looks like this
>>
>> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
>> /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_04/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: libXp.so.6: cannot
>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> On my old RedHat box, libXp is part of the XFree86-libs (for 4.2.x),
>> no idea where you'd find it in a apt-get based system.  I assume that
>
> chrisg@isupc14:~$ dpkg -S libXp.so
> libxp-dev: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so
> libxp6: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6.2
> libxp6: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6

Installed!

- Sam Ruby

Re: AWT on Brutus

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> even with java.awt.headless=true some things that use AWT fail on
> brutus, for example jelly-tags-swing.  The error looks like this
>
> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_04/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> On my old RedHat box, libXp is part of the XFree86-libs (for 4.2.x),
> no idea where you'd find it in a apt-get based system.  I assume that

chrisg@isupc14:~$ dpkg -S libXp.so
libxp-dev: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so
libxp6: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6.2
libxp6: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6

Of course this only works if it's installed ;-)

Otherwise you could use
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents

--
Christian