Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Brandon Du Rette <br...@tonic.com> on 2001/05/10 19:25:07 UTC

XSLT and SOAP-RPC

First let me apologize if this message makes it to
the list twice.  I tried to send it from another
account and it does not seem to have made it, so
I'm going to try to send it from this account.

I am implementing a SOAP-RPC service which gets data
from other XML services and returns complex data
structures (i.e. beans) composed of the data in the
other XML services.  On the client side, I prefer to
use the BeanSerializer to deserialize the response
into usable Java objects.  However, on the server side,
using beans doesn't really make sense, since doing so
generates a large number of throw-away objects.  To me,
XSLT seems to make a lot of sense in this situation.
Transform foreign XML into local SOAP-XML.  Has anyone
done this?  Are there examples somewhere?  Would I have
to write my own serializer perhaps?

I have a method signature on the server side that looks
something like:

    public Element getComplexObject(...)

Of course, I get a "No serializer found..." error,
because there's no serializer available for "Element".
But I just want the returned element to be the "return"
portion of the response body.

Comments?  Ideas?  Thanks.

Brandon

Brandon DuRette             Tonic Software
brandon.durette@tonic.com   9606 N. Mopac Expressway
(512) 744-6488              Austin, TX 78759
www.tonic.com
"If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features."