Posted to dev@pirk.apache.org by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/29 14:33:43 UTC

For Review -- Draft August Podling Report

Hi Mentors,

Can you please review the following draft Pirk podling report? I will post
it on the incubator report wiki once everyone is happy with it.

Thanks!

Ellison Anne

**********

Pirk

Pirk is a framework for scalable Private Information Retrieval (PIR).

Pirk has been incubating since 2016-06-17. The initial code for Pirk was
granted on 2016-07-11.

  1. Establish a formal release process and schedule, allowing for
dependable release cycles in a manner consistent with the Apache
development process.

  2. Establish a process which allows different release cycles for the core
framework, extensions/adaptors, and additional algorithms.

  3. Grow the community to establish diversity of background and expertise.

aware of?

None.

The mailing list activity, pull requests, and page views to the Apache Pirk
website (via Google Analytics) have greatly increased since the last
report.

The project has ensured that all dependencies are compliant with the Apache
License version 2.0 and that all code and documentation artifacts have the
correct Apache licensing markings and notice. The project has also
undertaken a refactor of some of the initial packages and provided more
robust support for user interaction.

Date of last release:

  No releases have been made yet.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

Pirk is operating with its initial committers and PMC and has not yet
elected new committers or PMC members.

Re: For Review -- Draft August Podling Report

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 29/07/16 15:33, Ellison Anne Williams wrote:
> Hi Mentors,
>
> Can you please review the following draft Pirk podling report? I will post
> it on the incubator report wiki once everyone is happy with it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ellison Anne
>
> **********
>
> Pirk
>
> Pirk is a framework for scalable Private Information Retrieval (PIR).
>
> Pirk has been incubating since 2016-06-17. The initial code for Pirk was
> granted on 2016-07-11.
>
> Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
>
>   1. Establish a formal release process and schedule, allowing for
> dependable release cycles in a manner consistent with the Apache
> development process.
>
>   2. Establish a process which allows different release cycles for the core
> framework, extensions/adaptors, and additional algorithms.
>
>   3. Grow the community to establish diversity of background and expertise.
>
> Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
> aware of?
>
> None.

> The mailing list activity, pull requests, and page views to the Apache Pirk
> website (via Google Analytics) have greatly increased since the last
> report.

> The project has ensured that all dependencies are compliant with the Apache
> License version 2.0 and that all code and documentation artifacts have the
> correct Apache licensing markings and notice. The project has also
> undertaken a refactor of some of the initial packages and provided more
> robust support for user interaction.
>
> Date of last release:
>
>   No releases have been made yet.
>
> When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
>
> Pirk is operating with its initial committers and PMC and has not yet
> elected new committers or PMC members.

+1 from me.

Re: For Review -- Draft August Podling Report

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the report

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 29 July 2016 at 19:17, Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Tim had submitted a JIRA request for the Pirk podling name search on
> 6.28.16:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-108
>
> However, it is still unassigned and thus unresolved/open. What do we need
> to do in order to move it along?

Drop a note to trademarks@apache.org, and cc: the private Pirk mailing
list, asking for an interpretation and approval of the information in that
JIRA.

I only say the 'private' Pirk list because trademarks@ is a private list,
and it is not appropriate to be mixing private and public lists in a
conversation.

Regards,
Tim

Re: For Review -- Draft August Podling Report

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi Billie,

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me.

I will volunteer to be the RM (it's good to learn how it's done early on) -
I will just need some wisdom and guidance from the mentors ;)

I did see this guide for NiFi:

https://nifi.apache.org/release-guide.html

And these for for Accumulo:

https://accumulo.apache.org/releasing
https://accumulo.apache.org/verifying_releases

Any others that we should follow?

I had stubbed out 'How to Make a Release' page on our website - we can fill
it in as we go along through the process.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
+1 from me.