Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Varun Thacker <va...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/08 21:22:34 UTC

(LUCENE-2793:Directory createOutput and openInput should take an IOContex and LUCENE-2795:Genericize DirectIOLinuxDir -> UnixDir) as GSoC

I'm moving this discussion to the thread as suggested by the Lucene mentors.

This is my final proposal link:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/varunthacker1989/1

Till now I have implemented the following to get a better understanding of
my project:

I wrote a sample code to test out speed difference between SEQUENTIAL and
O_DIRECT( I used the madvise flag-MADV_DONTNEED) reads .This is the link to
the code: http://pastebin.com/8QywKGyS. There was a noticeable speed
difference when i switched between the two flags. I did not use the O_DIRECT
flag because Linus Torvalds had criticized it.

This blog post by Micheal McCandless (
http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2010/06/lucene-and-fadvisemadvise.html)
helped me understand the problem for which LUCENE-2793 is needed.

I am currently reading up on the Lucene Documentation taking into account a
few pointers provided by Simon WIllnauer.

I want to keep everyone updated and also take into consideration the
comments made by the members of this community, which will help me
understand and implement these tasks .

Varun Thacker
http://varunthacker.wordpress.com