Posted to builds@apache.org by "P. Ottlinger" <po...@apache.org> on 2022/01/12 07:51:22 UTC

Travis integration - docker pull limit reached

Hi,

does anyone else experience a problem to pull docker images during
Travis builds?

https://app.travis-ci.com/github/apache/creadur-rat/jobs/555147841

<snip>
$ docker pull "${DOCKER_IMAGE}"

Error response from daemon: toomanyrequests: You have reached your pull
rate limit. You may increase the limit by authenticating and upgrading:
https://www.docker.com/increase-rate-limit

The command "docker pull "${DOCKER_IMAGE}"" failed and exited with 1
during .
</snip>

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Travis integration - docker pull limit reached

Posted by "P. Ottlinger" <po...@apache.org>.
Hi,

thanks for all your input and help - Creadur RAT uses Github Actions and
Travis now and the builds are back in the green. Solved.

* https://github.com/apache/creadur-rat/blob/master/.travis.yml
Plain JDK build with 2 JDK versions.

*
https://github.com/apache/creadur-rat/blob/master/.github/workflows/maven.yml
long running matrix build with 2 operating systems [ubuntu-latest,
windows-latest] and java: [8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15]

Cheers,
Phil

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
By the way, if you use GitHub Actions, then you do not hit the limit:
GitHub has special agreements with Docker

Vladimir

Re: Travis integration - docker pull limit reached

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 12:36 PM P. Ottlinger <po...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Creadur RAT uses the matrix build feature to run within different
> maven+jdk combinations and we still get these build failures, e.g.
> https://app.travis-ci.com/github/apache/creadur-rat/jobs/558978072
>
> Can you provide me to a working Github Action integration that runs
> matrix builds, so we could try to adapt?

See
https://github.com/apache/avro/blob/8988196545a17e76a984b07313dd4a86497c9e02/.github/workflows/test-lang-java.yml#L37-L42
and
https://github.com/apache/avro/blob/8988196545a17e76a984b07313dd4a86497c9e02/.github/workflows/test-lang-java.yml#L58
You could do something similar for the Maven version.

But I don't think this would help you if you continue pulling from
DockerHub unauthenticated.
For CI purposes I'd recommend you to use GitHub Docker Registry instead.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi
A very simple one
https://github.com/apache/archiva-redback-core/blob/master/.github/workflows/maven.yml

Posted by "P. Ottlinger" <po...@apache.org>.
Hi again,

Posted by "P. Ottlinger" <po...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

You have to either authenticate to hub.docker.com or use an alternative
Docker registry like Apache Artifactory or Github Docker repository.

Martin