Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/02 20:42:11 UTC

[all] Cleaning up public maven repositories

When performing the recent [math] release, I noticed that we have
quite a few unreleased snapshots in the public maven repositories.
[math], for example, has a couple of dated snapshots from 2004.

I think that since these artifacts do not correspond to voted
releases, we need to remove them from at least the apache
repositories.  Are there any objections to my

1) systematically removing snapshots / unreleased components from the
apache "rsync" repositorires?
2) requesting removal from maven central repo1?
3) requesting removal from ibiblio (don't know if this is possible)

I know 2) and 3) will likely break some builds, which I guess is why
this has not been addressed up to now, but I think at least 1) is
necessary.

Phil

Re: [all] Cleaning up public maven repositories

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When performing the recent [math] release, I noticed that we have
>  quite a few unreleased snapshots in the public maven repositories.
>  [math], for example, has a couple of dated snapshots from 2004.
>
>  I think that since these artifacts do not correspond to voted
>  releases, we need to remove them from at least the apache
>  repositories.  Are there any objections to my
>
>  1) systematically removing snapshots / unreleased components from the
>  apache "rsync" repositorires?
>  2) requesting removal from maven central repo1?
>  3) requesting removal from ibiblio (don't know if this is possible)
>
>  I know 2) and 3) will likely break some builds, which I guess is why
>  this has not been addressed up to now, but I think at least 1) is
>  necessary.

Sounds like a good idea.

Niall

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

>  > 2) requesting removal from maven central repo1?
>  > 3) requesting removal from ibiblio (don't know if this is possible)
>
>  None of these will happen. The central repo has a policy of not removing
>  anything, and ibiblio just mirrors central.

Probably needs more discussion on the repository@a.o side of things,
but we _have_ pulled things off of central before.  If it isn't a
sanctioned ASF release, it really shouldn't be distributed.

--
Wendy

Re: [all] Cleaning up public maven repositories

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Phil Steitz wrote:
> When performing the recent [math] release, I noticed that we have
> quite a few unreleased snapshots in the public maven repositories.
> [math], for example, has a couple of dated snapshots from 2004.
>
> I think that since these artifacts do not correspond to voted
> releases, we need to remove them from at least the apache
> repositories.  Are there any objections to my
>
> 1) systematically removing snapshots / unreleased components from the
> apache "rsync" repositorires?

This is good for our own housekeeping, but other than that it has no
real effect.

> 2) requesting removal from maven central repo1?
> 3) requesting removal from ibiblio (don't know if this is possible)

None of these will happen. The central repo has a policy of not removing
anything, and ibiblio just mirrors central.

> I know 2) and 3) will likely break some builds, which I guess is why
> this has not been addressed up to now, but I think at least 1) is
> necessary.
>
> Phil

Dennis Lundberg