Posted to dev@sqoop.apache.org by Boglarka Egyed <bo...@apache.org> on 2017/12/05 11:35:18 UTC

Re: SQOOP LICENSE.txt question

Hi Attila,

I am not a PMC Member but I took a look and found that e.g. for Flume the
version handling is the same, see https://github.com/apache/
flume/blob/trunk/LICENSE or for the latest Sqoop2 release too:
https://github.com/apache/sqoop/blob/sqoop2/LICENSE.txt

Based on this I would say we should follow the existing process and also
regarding the binary/source tar.gz files I would do the same as in the
previous release.

Of course, a confirmation from a PMC Member would be great.

Cheers,
Bogi

Posted by Attila Szabó <ma...@apache.org>.
Hello everyone,

Though Bogi's discovery made a strong pro on the side to keep the
LICENSE.txt like it is (and as it were before),
after checking other projects (including Apache Hadoop, Beam, Spark, Arrow,
Mesos, HBase, etc.), I've just become even more and more confused if there
is any standard requirement against our product/community on this front.
I've seen several projects including explicit version numbers, I've seen
projects not even mentioning the dependencies, and also I've seen projects
like Flume and Sqoop just having a "<version>" placeholder instead of
explicitly defined version numbers.

Could anyone from the group of the "veteran" community members give us any
insight which behaviour would be the required one in case of Sqoop?

@Abefine, @Kathleen:
What do you think?

Many thanks in advance,
Attila