Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2009/03/24 15:10:43 UTC

Remaining M9 issues

I'm trying to catch up on the remaining M9 blockers, and have gleaned
the following, please correct me where I'm wrong, or provide more info.
The goal is to ensure we have no regressions, not that we fix all known
bugs in this milestone.

 - Blockers -

1. RMI test failures on Linux [HARMONY-6090, 6091 and 6092 provide a
partial fix to this, but tests still fail intermittently]

?JIRA?  Regression?

2. hymem.exe crashes on Vista

?JIRA?  Regression?

3. Various AWT/Swing crashes/ failures

?JIRA?  Regression?

4. Dacapo benchmark failure HARMONY-6041

Regression caused by patch in r727327.  Propose Regis fix or roll-back
this patch.

 - Non-blockers -

1. HttpURLConnectionTest and HttpsURLConnectionTest fail on some
systems [Test issue - fix available from Regis in HARMONY-6120 but may
not be committed until after M9]

Test case problem.  Fix for test available but not committed.

2. org.apache.harmony.archive.tests.java.util.jar.ManifestTest fails
on Windows XP [Tim is working on this]

Fixed.

3. VM crash in classlib tests on Linux -
org.apache.harmony.luni.tests.java.net.MulticastSocketTest and
org.apache.harmony.xnet.provider.jsse.SSLSocketImplTest

Chunrong identified cause as r691267.
Not a regression from M8.

4. Classlib test failures on Vista in
org.apache.harmony.luni.tests.java.net.MulticastSocketTest
and org.apache.harmony.luni.tests.java.net.SocketTest [Firewall issue?]

Identified as firewall problem.

Re: Remaining M9 issues

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
Looking in the mail archives we have allowed Swing/AWT crashes through
before (e.g. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/harmony-dev/200811.mbox/%3C49138D1F.10305@gmail.com%3E)

but that mail doesn't state explicitly what the crashes were so it's
hard to know if there's anything new.  However there has been no
active development in Swing or AWT since M8 so IMHO it's more likely
that the tests are unreliable or there are intermittent failures than
that there are regressions.

--
Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: Remaining M9 issues

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
2009/3/24 Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> I'm trying to catch up on the remaining M9 blockers, and have gleaned
> the following, please correct me where I'm wrong, or provide more info.
> The goal is to ensure we have no regressions, not that we fix all known
> bugs in this milestone.
>

>  - Blockers -
>
> 1. RMI test failures on Linux [HARMONY-6090, 6091 and 6092 provide a
> partial fix to this, but tests still fail intermittently]
>
> ?JIRA?  Regression?
>
> 2. hymem.exe crashes on Vista
>
> ?JIRA?  Regression?
>
> 3. Various AWT/Swing crashes/ failures
>
> ?JIRA?  Regression?
>
> 4. Dacapo benchmark failure HARMONY-6041
>
> Regression caused by patch in r727327.  Propose Regis fix or roll-back
> this patch.
>

>  - Non-blockers -
>

> 1. HttpURLConnectionTest and HttpsURLConnectionTest fail on some
> systems [Test issue - fix available from Regis in HARMONY-6120 but may
> not be committed until after M9]
>
> Test case problem.  Fix for test available but not committed.
>

> 2. org.apache.harmony.archive.tests.java.util.jar.ManifestTest fails
> on Windows XP [Tim is working on this]
>
> Fixed.
>

> 3. VM crash in classlib tests on Linux -
> org.apache.harmony.luni.tests.java.net.MulticastSocketTest and
> org.apache.harmony.xnet.provider.jsse.SSLSocketImplTest
>
> Chunrong identified cause as r691267.
> Not a regression from M8.

Chunrong - would you be able to open a JIRA for this if there isn't
one already?  It would be good to get it fixed for M10.

Re: Remaining M9 issues

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.
2009/3/25 Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>:
> Nathan,
> I have just thrown a ping to Rustem. Even if found, this tool hardly
> can be donated without upper level managerial support. Maybe Xiao Feng
> would help us.

Even if we can't get the actual tool - it would be nice to know more
about what it did and what input was used.

Re: Remaining M9 issues

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Nathan,

Re: Remaining M9 issues

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.

Re: Remaining M9 issues

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Remaining M9 issues

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Remaining M9 issues

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: Remaining M9 issues

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.

Re: hymem crash

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Mark Hindess wrote:
> In message <49...@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:
>> Nathan Beyer wrote:
>>> Maybe I've just been doing something wrong all along. One way it
>>> works, another it crashes. Here's what I'm doing.
>>>
>>> 1. I have the basic federated build setup.
>>> 2. 'ant rebuild' from top-folder, 'trunk'
>>> 3. 'cd working_classlib\modules\portlib'
>>> 4. 'ant test' - all of the native test pass just fine
>> a good sign
>>
>>> 5. 'cd ..\..\..\' - go back up to top-folder
>>> 6. 'robocopy /mir target\hdk working_classlib\deploy' - copy the
>>> federated build to classlib's deploy folder
>>> 7. 'cd working_classlib'
>>> 8. 'ant test' - after a bit, portlib tests are run and hymem.exe test
>>> blows up in the 'hymem_free_memory' method
>> "blows up" = access violation?  Can you run in windbg and see what is
>> happening?
>>
>> Let me try on my WinXP install and see if the same happens.
>
> This might be a problem with the hythr from classlib being replaced by
> the hythr from drlvm - IIRC they have different APIs.  Try copying everything
> *except* hythr.dll?

That was my thought too, but then wouldn't you expect much more
catastrophe than a single hymem test failure??

(just rebuilding now)

Regards,
Tim

Re: hymem crash (was: Re: Remaining M9 issues)

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: hymem crash

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Nathan Beyer wrote:
> Here's what I'm doing.
>
> 1. I have the basic federated build setup.
> 2. 'ant rebuild' from top-folder, 'trunk'
> 3. 'cd working_classlib\modules\portlib'
> 4. 'ant test' - all of the native test pass just fine

That does nothing for me.  I have to run it from the working_classlib
directory ant script (to set up the environment vars correctly) and pass
in a couple of defines:

cd working_classlib
ant -Dtest.portlib=true -Dbuild.module=portlib test

> 5. 'cd ..\..\..\' - go back up to top-folder
> 6. 'robocopy /mir target\hdk working_classlib\deploy' - copy the
> federated build to classlib's deploy folder
> 7. 'cd working_classlib'
> 8. 'ant test' - after a bit, portlib tests are run and hymem.exe test
> blows up in the 'hymem_free_memory' method

Works for me :

-run-native-tests:
     [echo] hycpu: passed
     [echo] hyerror: passed