Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/19 16:44:34 UTC

Re: Some questions about the Derby

Forwarding to the list.

答复: 答复: Some questions about the Derby

Posted by 王旭 <wa...@sinosoft.com.cn>.
Hi

	I'm sorry for the statement of SQL script (select 350000.0 /1000* RT from CV where age = 20;).
	The SQL script we have used is " select 350000.0 * RT/1000 from CV where age = 20;"
	But I do not understand why the two execution results of SQL script are inconsistent, and why the above execution results of SQL script appears ".9999999"?

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 王旭 <wa...@sinosoft.com.cn>.
Hi  Knut

	Thank you for your reply , but I still have some problems need your help to answer.

	*Question one**:

	According to the reference manual:
	About divider,the scale expressions:  31 - lp + ls - rs
				the precision expressions: lp - ls + rp + max(ls + rp - rs + 1, 4)

	For example, the scale of the resulting data type of the following expression is 27:
    11.0/1111.33
	// 31 - 3 + 1 - 2 = 27
	Another, the precision of the resulting data type of the following expression is 14:
    11.0/1111.33
    //3 - 1 + 6 + Max(1+6-2+1,4) = 14

	Why the calculated results of the scale is less than the precision?
	I think that the precision (integer digits + scale digits) should be greater than the scale digits.

	*Question two**:

The reference manual explains how numeric types are promoted in expressions here: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.9/ref/rrefsqlj27767.html

>> *Question two**:***
>>
>> Firstly, I created a table.
>>
>> CREATE TABLE CV
>>
>>      (
>>
>>          AGE SMALLINT,
>>
>>          RT DOUBLE,
>>
>>          PRIMARY KEY (AGE)
>>
>>      )
>>
>> Then innserted data "insert into CV VALUES (20,766.3)"
>>
>> Finally, I got results of "268204.99999999994" after executing the
>> SQL statement "select 350000.0/1000 * RT from CV the where age =
>> 20?", but the actual result should be "268205.0".

When I execute those statements in ij, I see the result you expected:

ij> CREATE TABLE CV (AGE SMALLINT, RT DOUBLE, PRIMARY KEY (AGE));
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> insert into CV VALUES (20, 766.3);
1 row inserted/updated/deleted
ij> select 350000.0/1000 * RT from CV where age = 20;
1
268205.0

1 row selected

>> Could you tell me whether the cause of problem is inaccurated data
>> from a floating-point type double.

That sounds likely. But it's difficult to tell without knowing exactly what you did when you ended up with that number.

--
Knut Anders

Re: Some questions about the Derby

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <kn...@oracle.com>.