Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org> on 2003/09/08 15:33:52 UTC

Re: Is there any reason we have to resolve dependencies all the t ime?

Laird Nelson wrote:

> Andy Jefferson wrote:
>
>> You could take it further and think of the whole issue of dependencies
>> and the fact that there are basically 3 'types' ... build, test, and
>> runtime.
>>
> Or: each plugin has dependencies, and the java:compile one fills its
> dependency list from the POM, the test:* one fills its dependency list
> from some other location in the POM, etc.

Right.  However as long as we can merge the dependencies at the proper
time, we could fix the blind loading and resolving of all dependencies
until we really need them.

> Saying that each plugin can have a dependency but that that dependency
> list can come from anywhere (like the POM, i.e. it doesn't need to be
> hardcoded) allows for more flexibility in the future.

But can Maven be altered so that the dependency won't be resolved unless
it is really needed?

For example, why with the "clean" target do all the project dependencies
(which don't differentiate as to use) need to be resolved?

Re: Is there any reason we have to resolve dependencies all the t ime?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Laird Nelson wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> Right.  However as long as we can merge the dependencies at the proper
>> time, we could fix the blind loading and resolving of all dependencies
>> until we really need them.
>

> Yes, that's my point.  We're in agreement.

:)

It appears that there is a post 1.0 fix for the whole mess.

Re: Is there any reason we have to resolve dependencies all the t ime?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Cool.

Got a patch?
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

Laird Nelson <lj...@alumni.amherst.edu> wrote on 09/09/2003 01:46:09
AM:

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@alumni.amherst.edu>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 09:33, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Laird Nelson wrote:
>
> > Andy Jefferson wrote:
> >
> >> You could take it further and think of the whole issue of dependencies
> >> and the fact that there are basically 3 'types' ... build, test, and
> >> runtime.
> >>
> > Or: each plugin has dependencies, and the java:compile one fills its
> > dependency list from the POM, the test:* one fills its dependency list
> > from some other location in the POM, etc.
>
> Right.  However as long as we can merge the dependencies at the proper
> time, we could fix the blind loading and resolving of all dependencies
> until we really need them.
>

> > Saying that each plugin can have a dependency but that that dependency
> > list can come from anywhere (like the POM, i.e. it doesn't need to be
> > hardcoded) allows for more flexibility in the future.

> But can Maven be altered so that the dependency won't be resolved unless
> it is really needed?

Sure it can but for now the plan is to get what we have out as 1.0 as
soon as possible. Soon after that is done I will release the
componentized version of Maven which is the long-term future of Maven
and what the book will be based on.

> For example, why with the "clean" target do all the project dependencies
> (which don't differentiate as to use) need to be resolved?

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org